Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am unable to find any contact info , so far the closest vender is four hours away ok maybe three at charlie's.
    somebody Help me Lol

Quote Originally Posted by syonker View Post
    With the original Vectors you "build your own" downrigger by selecting boom length, number of rod holders (or none at all) swivel base, etc.

I was hoping that the rigger would be reintroduced with this menu feature so that it could be married with existing rod holders.

I would buy these riggers in a heart beat if they could be attached to my current Vector/Cannon double rod holder bases.
    they will he has made plates so they can go on the old vector plates

Stopped in at Charlie's to get a peek at these new Magnum Metalz riggers. He got one in midweek. I have owned pre Nature Vision Vectors as well as my current post NV Vectors. I was pleasantly surprised to see how Bill Pertler took his original design and improved it. The whole rigger is slightly more compact than the old design which was very compact to begin with. The rod holders eliminated the pull pin which in my book made it easy for a newcomer to lose a rod over the side. He also rounded out the ends of the tube eliminating the apparent need for the plastic cap. The boom now locks in the up and down position whereas it used to just lock in the up position. The motor looks identical in size and shape to the original so I guess it would perform with awesome speed and power of the original. The pulley is totally redesigned and is narrower and more enclosed. The base is 3x3 whereas the original is 4x4. I am told there is a conversion plate available. I like the third rod holder on the originals for my chute rigger that comes as an option. I am not sure if that is available on the new design? All in all it is one solid looking unit that takes the best from the old and adds some improvements to style and function. I am intrigued by the idea of auto up and down features but having never had them I am not sure how beneficial they might be. $500 is a nice price too.

Oh and one more thing ... the clutch mechanism uses the pre NV sleeve and not the clip. The clip had a tendancy to wear up the shaft with the pressure from the spool which created a burr and eventually the clutch would fail. The sleeve on the shaft between the spool and the motor eliminates that failure mode altogether.

Does anyone know if they will fit a Bert's swivel base?

With used Vectors going for $300 plus and new Traxstechs going for $950, this would be a good alternative to buying used. Are they available to look at yet?

Hope to pick mine up at the Grand rapids show in a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by whatadeal View Post
    Hope to pick mine up at the Grand rapids show in a few weeks
    Have you seen them in person yet? Is there an autostop option? Not sure if I can make the Grand Rapids show but will look at them there if I do.

There is no autostop. They function just like the old Vectors. Charlie tells me he will have 20 of them in his booth at the GR Show.

Any new info on these like length boom etc?? Seriously thinking about going to electric's.

I'm new to this site (ten minutes ago), and joined to post specifically on this topic. I have a small boat - 16 foot with 25 horse etech tiller. I have been shopping around for over a year to buy a downrigger to match my needs. I like to catch pretty much anything from panfish in small ponds, steelhead in the rivers, and pulling dipsy divers on Lake Michigan. My boat has been in all of these places. I really wanted to take my time and purchase a QUALITY product for my first downrigger. I've looked at manual v. electric, fixed v. swivel, cannon, walker, big jon and scotty. I've even traveled fairly good distances just to talk to people about what I could expect (good and bad) from a downrigger. Again, I've never owned one.

I was at the Grand Rapids Sport show recently and came across this Magnum Metalz. I am convinced this is the route I will go and plan to purchase one this weekend. I am certain you all have way more experience and knowledge on the use of and value in downrigger fishing, but if you are interested, I will gladly post again in the near future to share with any of you my personal thoughts and level of satisfaction.

Word is they are not going to make these downriggers.

That is too bad. I saw them at the Grand Rapids show and although more than I can spend right now, they look like a quality product.

That is correct. Not going to be made,big disappointment, ordered a pair at the GR show and then got the email today stating they will not be made.
    On a positive note, the fishing hole is making it right with me as far as another purchase on riggers. They did not lose a customer.

I talked to a guy in the UP about buying his Vectors a month or so ago He sold them for $250 each so that he could buy 4 of these. I bet he is not a happy camper right now. Dix they make any?

What ever happened to this company? Did they manufactures the riggers?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast