Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Want to buy new trolling motor , Mercury Pro kicker 9.9 VS Yamaha 9.9

First time posting ! Looking for a new trolling motor for my boat. They both have electric start with power tilt. The pricing is very close also. I have a 16' Hewscraft 2007 with a 75 hp Mercury EFI tiller, great motor and very little noise, I need to add a kicker and would like to hear if one is better than the other. I hear one is cold blooded but not sure. Thank anyone for there help !

These two brands are both very good kicker motors and they both have there advantages. I would personally find the best price and go with it. I just went throught the same thing even though I did not get a chance to use it yet I went with the 15hp pro kicker. MY $.02 Good luck!

I have a 8 hp high thrust Yamaha that works very well for me.
    I have it mounted on a 19 foot boat, and with two good size men it will push the boat at 6 mph in 1-2 foot waves.
    Electric start, power tilt, an an alternator (8 amp I believe)
    Regards,
    Jay
    Why Knot Now

Is a 16' hewescraft tiller rated for 75hp? You may have to much motor on that boat. I believe it's only rated at 70hp. If that is the case I would strongly consider trading it for a Honda 60 it has the digital trolling controls built right into the tiller and will be much safer. I know the boat can handle it but there is a lot more to it when the figure those restrictions then just if the transom hold it or not. When I was selling hewescraft Honda only made a 50hp and I begged and pleaded with hewescraft to rated on with an extra 5hp for me cause the old carbed 50 was slightly underpowered in my opinion and the flat out refused and said under the current uscg regulations there is absolutely no way to rate that boat for a 75 without adding a console.

If you keep the 75hp, I would go with the lightest weight motor you can find if that's merc, yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, or someone else I don't know. Maybe even an 8hp if that saves any extra weight you can still get those in electric start and power tilt. But if you figure the 75hp, whichever kicker you choose, you driving, downriggers, batteries, you fishing buddy come to grab a pole or net a fish, ect that leaves a ton of weight in the back and an awfully unbalanced boat.

I picked up a pro kicker last year and it performed very well. Advanages of the Mercury is your supporting an American company, extra 2 years of warranty, 4 blade prop, bigger gear case designed for what your using it for, auto trim, electric start, alternator..... I never owned a Yamaha I can say nothing bad about them, but Mercury has been making boat motors since Moby **** was a minnow

Quote Originally Posted by oneadam12 View Post
    I picked up a pro kicker last year and it performed very well. Advanages of the Mercury is your supporting an American company, extra 2 years of warranty, 4 blade prop, bigger gear case designed for what your using it for, auto trim, electric start, alternator..... I never owned a Yamaha I can say nothing bad about them, but Mercury has been making boat motors since Moby **** was a minnow
    While Mercury may be an American company, the last time I checked Tohatsu actually manufactured Mercury's small HP outboards. Tohatsu also manufactures Nissan's small outboards -- in fact when I was in the market for a 15 hp 4 stroke a dealer carried both Mercury and Nissan -- sitting right next to each other, the only difference was the color of the case.

Please post if you know that this is no longer the case.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes
    Owner: NetBungee -- http://www.netbungee.com &
    Michigan Slamon Spectacular - http://www.MichiganSalmonSpectacular.com

in case you didn't know yamaha was making the heads for the mercury 4-stroke,i don't jnow if they still do?also i heard alot of the parts for mercury motors over (i think) 50 h.p are made in china,i was told that by a mercury dealer so i'm just telling you what i was told.i also have a yamaha 8h.p high thrust and it pushes my 4500# boat around for trolling.don't overlook honda (my favorite) they come with alot of standard equip. that is optional on others,dare to compare.

Tohatsu makes power heads for mercury now,the older ones were by yamaha.
    I have owned an older mercury that had a yamaha power head on it and now have one that has a tohatsu power head and had zero problems with either of them.
    The tohatsu with mercury decals on them are the newer mercury.
    This is in the kickers not for sure if it applies to the larger engines.

As "dragginbottom" said don't overlook Honda. I put a 9.9 Honda on my 18 footer because the boat came with a Honda 130. Both motors are absolute misers on fuel. There is one drawback with the Honda 9.9. In the heat of the day, after a nice lunch and the fish aren't biting, the hum of that quiet little 9.9 will put you right to sleep.

Merc opened a brand new plant in China about five years ago and it is making all of the small motors for Merc.

I have a 4 stroke Honda 8hp long shaft and just love it because its silent, seems to run forever and gives me great control on a windy day trolling. It came with a 5 year waranty - that's standard! Have owned it for 4 years with no problems The boat is a 17 1/2 foot Lund Pro Sport with a 90 Honda. . We have 3 other Hondas in our boat house, again with no problems. On Lake of the Woods, Ontario, Canada a lot of the boats are now powered by either Honda or Yamaha because people decided to switch.

Good luck

jim

I have owned all three motors and would recommend the Honda 9.9hp kicker. Starts first time every time and never stalls. The other engines are also excellent products.
    Daniel Fishing Team

I've run Yamaha 9.9 hp and T8 8hp high thrust kickers on my last two boats,and they performed flawlessly,Not a single problem.Troll continuously hours and hours days on end never missed a beat.Pushed 22 and 23 foot glass boats easily.
    The Hondas are sweet as well,and I know guys who run the Merc. Big Foots and like them also.
    You won't go wrong with any of them.You may want to go with the brand that has a dealer in your vicinity,in the extremely rare case that you may need service or parts.
    Also, check the charging rates.I think Honda has the highest charging output of all the brands.
    John R.
    * Boat- 23' SeaCraft Tsunami
    * Port- Olcott NY.

I want to thank everyone for there reply ! Very helpful. It's great to see the options we have now days. qball59

I stand corrected about Mercury, although the company is based in Wisconsin my kicker was made in Japan.. Regardless, I love it and my best advice is to get all bells and whistles you want, you'll regret your purchase later if you don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast