Great Lakes Angler Forum

Strike King Shadalicious 6.5" and Alabama Rig

Guys, this ought to be killer stuff for salmon and walleye trolled just about anywhere in the spread. Don't know about other states yet, but in Michigan you'll be able to troll six hooks on one rod--as long as it is the sum total from one angler aboard. In other words, if you have four guys with one, six-hook Alabama rig down, you can still troll nine more rods, three per angler for the other three guys. Or you could troll four, six-hook Alabama rigs, which could end up being the best spread.

Here's the release announcing the return of the 6.5 Shadalicious--the biggest one Strike King makes--along with some pictures of the other components.

Dave

Strike King Lure Company Announces The Re-Introduction of the 6.5 Shadalicious
    Collierville, TN (March 23, 2012) – The Shadalicious swimbait from Strike King has been a favorite of anglers targeting multiple species throughout the world since its introduction. Its soft texture and hollow-bodied design allows it to swim with an uninhibited motion more to resemble live bait. Its colors were very precise, and allowed for any forage or water color scenario. The Shadalicious was initially offered in 4 sizes and all were very popular. Eventually, the big swimbait craze cooled off and most bass anglers found different ways to apply the mid-sized baits for most situations. Sales of the largest version, the 6.5” model, declined and it was removed from the lineup.
    Subsequently many fishermen learned different ways to use the big 6.5” model and finally various jig heads and hooks came on the market to enable them to work properly and be fished more effectively. Anglers started catching huge fish on them and they quietly became a “secret” lure for many tournament anglers. Strike King and its dealers began getting a notable number of requests from anglers looking for the larger version.
    Next came the multi-bait rig craze that exploded onto the scene in the fall of 2011. Many tournaments were being on this new-fangled contraption and regardless of your opinion on it, or your preference of rig, one thing has been proven; the soft swimbait is the bait of choice for big bass when using this type of rig!
    So, by popular demand, Strike King is re-introducing the 6.5” Shadalicious. It will re-join its 5.5”, 4.5” and 3.5” brethren in our line-up of soft swimbaits. The biggest version of the Shadalicious has been proven to consistently catch bigger fish and in situations when big fish matter, there is no substitute.
    This series of baits is the perfect complement to the, soon to be available, Strike King Sexy Squadron Rig and the Sexy Squadron Jig Heads. Or, it is also compatible with whatever style of this rig that you are using. The price point of the Shadalicious makes it a favorite as well.
    So beware, the big 6.5” Shadalicious is back and the Company has it in inventory!
    Tie on an umbrella rig today and match it up with a Shadalicious from Strike King. Just pleased be warned that we can’t be held responsible for sore arms and bloody thumbs!
    Strike King 6.5 in. Shadalicious Swimbait

Jigheads for the Alabama Rig and the Alabama Rig Components

I think that for salmon and walleye trolling, you're going to want a weighted swimbait hook with the coiled wire on the eyelet, and then add a treble, like this. You'll want to keep the hook barb buried in the plastic, and add a little piece of plastic over the single hook to keep the treble from slipping off.

I can't wait to try this for salmon!

–DM
    Dave Mull
    A.F. Troller
    Paw Paw, MI

Sponsored by no one in particular, but this space for rent.

What size Alabama rig or stripper rig would you use?

I picked up a couple of alabama rigs with the weighted jig head. I have not had a chance to use them yet but was hoping to try them for Coho. In Ontario we can only use 4 hooks per line but I will just put a bait without a hook on the 5th leg.

I was thinking about using a trailer on the center arm and just attractors on the four arms

I think the trailer thing would work for sure--might even put a bigger one on the back, or a spoon or a stickbait, just to change it up. I'm really anticipating that this will do some big stuff for salmon and walleye--maybe muskies, too.
    Dave Mull
    A.F. Troller
    Paw Paw, MI

Quote Originally Posted by FSNmachine1 View Post
    I picked up a couple of alabama rigs with the weighted jig head. I have not had a chance to use them yet but was hoping to try them for Coho. In Ontario we can only use 4 hooks per line but I will just put a bait without a hook on the 5th leg.
    Let us know how you do with that. I'm curious to see how well the jig heads hook up with salmon. I think adding a treble is going to be the way to go from what I've seen how soft plastic swim baits work.
    Dave Mull
    A.F. Troller
    Paw Paw, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mull View Post
    Let us know how you do with that. I'm curious to see how well the jig heads hook up with salmon. I think adding a treble is going to be the way to go from what I've seen how soft plastic swim baits work.
    And now that I just caught some walleyes on a stinger hook behind a jig yesterday on the Detroit River, that set-up has me thinking. How 'bout those jigheads with a stinger of a No. 2 Short Shank KVD hook from Mustad put together with maybe 30-pound test fluorocarbon line and one of those crimps like the guys on the Detroit use? Bet you could set it to run straight behind the wiggling tail without interfering. So much to try this year!
    Dave Mull
    A.F. Troller
    Paw Paw, MI