Great Lakes Angler Forum

Mexico Bay, Good Friday to Easter

My buddy and I got into them pretty good over the Easter weekend. Got to our target lake late in the day on Friday and managed 4 fish before dark. 3 to 6 pounds and fat as footballs! Saturday was unfishable as the winds had the waves pushed up to 3 to 4 feet. We gave it a shot later in the day but quit right away. Just not a day to be on the water.
    Easter Sunday was a different story and as I set the second rigger, the first one fired!! I handed the rod to my buddy and immediately, the second rigger fired. A nice double on a pair of fat 3 pounders. We trolled up another 3 before noon when we quit for lunch and a nap. Afternoon was slow but we managed to fill our limit on our last pass as the wind was again driving us off the lake.

Great trip but as with all early April fishing, the weather can be a spoiler. Water temps were 46 at the surface, 44 at the ball. We ran riggers at 7' and 11' feet. The planer boards did well on Friday but were absolutely dead on Sunday. 7 of our 10 fish came on Stinger Orange Killer spoons, the others came on Stinger chicken wings and a Smithwick rattling rogue in a clown pattern. We missed 5 or 6 hits but landed everything else including 2 nice smallmouth about 3 pounds.

Again, the new handrail that I added to the boat proved to be a super addition in rough water. It made things a lot more comfortable and secure when setting riggers and boards. I'm thinking of adding side wings to it soon.

Mind if i ask whos the maker of that boat. Im looking at boats in that size range and it looks like a good fishing machine. and do you like the ride in 2-4 foot waves?

It's a Lund Alaskan 18'. It'll get you there and back safely in 2 to 4s but it's not comfortable fishing that kind of water in my book if it blows into a chop. I've had it out into some deep swell off Manitowoc a few years ago. Probably 5 to 6's but real smooth. I've also run some deep swell seaduck hunting here in Maine. No problems at all with deep swell but it turns to a short chop in combination, it's bad..
    I added that rear rail system to make setting gear and netting fish easier. I've since added side rails also. It's really made it nice for operating in heavy water. No matter how much easier it is to set gear and land fish, it's still just an 18 foot boat and for me short quick 3 footers is where I pick up and haul for the dock!!
    The biggest drawback to this boat is the lack of tackle box storage.