Great Lakes Angler Forum

Resorting a Boston Whaler Sport 13

I am looking at a Boston Whaler 1977 sport 13 and hoping any of the members have experience with changing the steering from pulley cable to mechanical like Teleflex system and parts information? Also, Marine varnish recommendations etc. I can't get anyone on Boston Whaler Central to respond to these questions so ask a fisherman?

The fishing question is do any of you have experience with the Cannon rail mount rod holders and happy with product if purchase for the rails of a Whaler? I am interested in these to switch back and forth between boats including a little 13.

Thank You,

I'm not familiar with the steering console on the 13' whaler,but it shouldn't be very difficult to install a Teleflex sterring system in it.They are used on all kinds of small aluminum and glass boats with very good results.
    What type and year of outboard is on it? The older type outboards didn't have the tilt tube on them so you would have to get a stand off bracket that holds the steering cable to the transom and would link the end of cable to the front of the motor.
    The more modern outboards have a cylindrical tube that would accept the steering cable.You slide the cable thru the stbd side of the tube,tighten down the captured nut on the cable to the stbd side of the motor tube,and connect the cable end by a link arm to the front of the motor.
    It's easier to do than explain in words.Check out Teleflexs link,they are pretty helpful on the phone,and all the major marine supply places carry most of what you'd need to do the job.
    I've done three and it's not difficult.There are a few to choose from,rack systems and rotary systems,I prefer the rotary system.Your mounting space will dictate which one s best.
    Here's the link to Teleflex and another very good one showing all the different mounting options.l

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/produc...tary-steering/

http://www.teleflex.ru/upload/files/...ion%20Kits.pdf
    Last edited by big easy; 09-25-2012 at 08:51 AM.
    John R.
    * Boat #1 23' SeaCraft Tsunami
    * Boat #2 20' SeaCraft Seafari
    * Port- Olcott NY.

Thank you for your help with my question on Teleflex system. The new motor is a 2010 Mercury 4 stroke. The boat is a 1977 sport 13 Whaler and has the later transom so this is not going to be an issue. There are several options and it would help if the NFB (?) is worth the extra cost to help keep the steering wheel from turning with hands off the wheel while fishing.

Short of going with hydraulic steering, I think the NFB (No Feed Back -- sometimes also called zero feedback) is gong to do the best job with holding a course. It also should provide the easiest steering without the torque you can get with the old cable type. A while back there was an article in GLA about putting a bow mount trolling motor with the autopilot course holding system on a boat and using it to steer the boat while using the outboard to provide the power. This might be worth looking into as well for your situation. I know the tiller steered models have a steering tension adjustment to allow the force needed to change direction to be tuned for the situation... not sure if the remote steer/throttle models have this or not.

As for the rod holders I have the track mount Cannons and they are great. The rail mounts are the same except for the mount itself. The rail mount is not really a quick release mechanism but you could take them off and move between boats. It is certainly easier to do with the track mounts but it would surprise me if the top of the gunnels on the Whaler skiff would be wide enough for a track.
    Last edited by SeaCat; 09-25-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

NFB is totally worth it....
    I just replaced the steering in my boat with an outboard and I am extremely pleased.

Response to retro fitting little Whaler

Quote Originally Posted by SeaCatMich View Post
    Short of going with hydraulic steering, I think the NFB (No Feed Back -- sometimes also called zero feedback) is gong to do the best job with holding a course. It also should provide the easiest steering without the torque you can get with the old cable type. A while back there was an article in GLA about putting a bow mount trolling motor with the autopilot course holding system on a boat and using it to steer the boat while using the outboard to provide the power. This might be worth looking into as well for your situation. I know the tiller steered models have a steering tension adjustment to allow the force needed to change direction to be tuned for the situation... not sure if the remote steer/throttle models have this or not.

As for the rod holders I have the track mount Cannons and they are great. The rail mounts are the same except for the mount itself. The rail mount is not really a quick release mechanism but you could take them off and move between boats. It is certainly easier to do with the track mounts but it would surprise me if the top of the gunnels on the Whaler skiff would be wide enough for a track.
    Thank you again and placing an order today for parts. Looking at Cannons to avoid holes including just a bracket to mount depth finder. Have enough holes now on the little 13 and we are filling in the major ones but will leave all the clamps and factory fasteners. for routing pulley and cable steering on the boat. Might be able to use a couple for depth finder routing. This little 13 spent it's entire life on Bois Blanc Island just on the Huron side of the Straits of Mackinac. I am looking forward to playing with the little 13 in the Inland Water Way here in cheboygan where I spent my summer childhood.

Thank you and I ordered the NFB132 along with 20 degree bezel to keep steering wheel at current angle along with a control link from Mercury to connect Teleflex with motor.

Thanks All for your input!

I would ask your question over at http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ some of the people there are extremely knowledgeable with all things Boston Whaler.
    27' Boston Whaler

Owner, Custom Rod Designs by John
    Specializing in spiral-wrapped Salmon trolling rods since 1980.

Steering

Did you end up converting the boat over to teleflex? If so do you still have the pulley system? Im looking to restore an 11' back to the original but unfortunately somewhere along its life it was converted to a tiller model. If you have the parts I'd be interested in purchasing them.
    Thanks

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by cheboygan 1945 View Post
    I am looking at a Boston Whaler 1977 sport 13 and hoping any of the members have experience with changing the steering from pulley cable to mechanical like Teleflex system and parts information? Also, Marine varnish recommendations etc. I can't get anyone on Boston Whaler Central to respond to these questions so ask a fisherman?

The fishing question is do any of you have experience with the Cannon rail mount rod holders and happy with product if purchase for the rails of a Whaler? I am interested in these to switch back and forth between boats including a little 13.

Thank You,

I have a 1968 13' Wahler...and have the Cannon raimount rod holders on it....work great