Great Lakes Angler Forum

Testing Churches TX-007 Stern Planner

I was testing Churches new TX-007 Stern Planner on the St. Joe River.
    I was forward trolling cranks, my spread 2 TX-6's
    2 flatlines and 2 TX-007 straight out the back.
    The 1st trip I went 6-10 with 3-4 on the TX-007.
    The next day ran the same spread, except only
    1 TX-007 on the plug that had 0 bites the day be
    fore, and flatline the plug that had 4 bites with
    the TX-007. Day 2 the TX-007 went 2-2 while the
    flatline had no bites. Not sure why the Stern Planner
    was out producing the flatline. It could be that I can
    control the length of the distance behind the planner
    while running the Stern Planner way back. The really
    nice thing was the hook ups! 5-6 ! I also never had to
    Bring in the TX-007 in while fighting other fish. As the
    other fish would be inside the TX-007. I could see the
    TX-007 and troll it close to visual structure. I will be add
    ing the stern planner to more applications as the season
    changes.
    Coho Bob Boat name: Coho's Aim
    Port: St. Joe Mi. Pro-Staff - Church Tackle , Michigan Stinger, Rapture Trolling Flies, Bloodrun Tackle, W.T.P.

When do you s'pose these will be on the market, Coho? I saw Mr. Church out there Friday when you were trolling these and they really are a terrific idea. I wasn't sure about 'em until I saw them behind your vintage Starcraft.

I wonder if they'll float a 300 copper--be kinda cool to be able to get someething like that down the pipe behind the fish fighting area.Thanks.
    Dave Mull
    Paw Paw, MI

Well, Coho ain't around to answer, but I got the skinny from Mr. Church today. He said they should be on the market in mid-February and didn't know how much they would cost yet, as they aren't in production as of right now. Soon though. I'm really envisioning some pretty cool things that can be done with these. you can set 'em right outside the "Cone of Disturbance" from the boat and run some high-action crankbaits real shallow for cohos and offshore steelhead. I'm thinking they'll be really good for copper down the chute--just let it out behind the fish-playing area, like those Lake Ontario guys do with the big musky bobbers. Really am anxious to play with these.

dm
    Dave Mull
    Paw Paw, MI

Dave,

These look interesting but they don't seem to rig like a regular planner. Did you get your hands on one yet? I was wondering what the belly looked like on this thing.

stern-planer-prototype2.jpg

I have not seen one up close yet, so I don't know, and I would like to know the info you're seeking. It looked kinda like a little boat when I saw it behind Coho's Starcraft, but it was a good ways away and I couldn't say that for sure.

Bill Church said the production models will have a snap--maybe the same kind as on the rear--on the front, so that when the front release pops with a fish the board slides down to your stopper in front of the bait, but maintains the same attitude on your line--pointing forward. At least that's what I understand. Can't wait to see them in action.

Merry Christmas!

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigshift View Post
    Dave,

These look interesting but they don't seem to rig like a regular planner. Did you get your hands on one yet? I was wondering what the belly looked like on this thing.

stern-planer-prototype2.jpg
    Dave Mull
    Paw Paw, MI