Great Lakes Angler Forum

Cannonlink with Digitroll riggs

Hello!

I am a Swedish fisherman hoping for some input from more experienced guys

I am about to buy new electric riggs and I am leaning towards Cannon Digitroll riggs.
    I have two Lowrance HDS 7" combos on the boat and I am afraid i'll get some interference problems with the 83/200 kHz transducers if I run the Lowrance together with either a Humminbird as a master for the Cannonlink or the separate transducer which can be connected directly to the Cannonlink.

I am really satisfied with my Lowrance and changing to Humminbird is not an option. However if nothing else work I could run the Lowrance as a GPS only when fishing with downriggers which is around 50 percent of the time spent trolling.

As far as I know there are no downriggers besides Digitroll which have an extern control for up & down which can be placed on the dashboard at the centerconsol of the boat.

Any input highly appreciated!

BR Ronny in northern Sweden

Have you tried calling them directly? They have excellent customer service.

By the way, welcome!

You should be able to run the fishfinders on a single frequency each and as long as one is running 200 kHz and the other is running at 50 or 83 kHz they should not interfere with each other. The problem is going to be if you run them with frequencies that are near each other.

You will also want to have the transducers as far apart as possible. Think of the transducer as a combination speaker/microphone. If you get a microphone in front of a speaker you get ugly screaching noises through the speakers due to feedback. The same thing will happen with your transducers if they are too close to each other. It does depend on how wide of a cone your transducers transmit, but in general I would try to put one on each side of the hull and not go less than 1 M of separation between them.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Thanks for some good advice!
    Anyone who knows at which frequens the Cannonlink transducer sends?
    I cant find this at Cannons website.

Regards Ronny

Hi Ronny-
    I am the product manager for Cannon. The frequency for a Digi-Troll transducer is 120 kHz. We use this frequency to avoid interference with the typical 83/200 frequency on a sonar unit.

Thanks, and please let me know any questions.
    Dave Maryanov

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon01 View Post
    Hi Ronny-
    I am the product manager for Cannon. The frequency for a Digi-Troll transducer is 120 kHz. We use this frequency to avoid interference with the typical 83/200 frequency on a sonar unit.

Thanks, and please let me know any questions.
    Dave Maryanov
    Thank you!

There is clearly a reason for the name of this subforum "Ask a Pro" =)
    I am impressed!

One more question, can both the Digitroll 5 & 10 be operated with only the Cannon transducer/ Cannonlink or is the Humminbird needed as a master for both 5 & 10?

Ronny - I am almost positive that you can either A) buy the transducer, or B) get the Humminbird with the CannonLink. We run the Bird/CannonLink set-up, and it's a cool feature. Bottom Track is a great feature, and the jigging function after the morning bite slows has put a few fish in the box.
    Crazy Yankee's Blog and Fishing Reports also Twitter and Facebook

Affiliated with Cannon Downriggers, Humminbird Electronics, A-TOM-MIK Tournament Flies, Dreamweaver Lures, McCoy Fishing Lines, and Daiwa Rods and Reels

The DigiTroll 10 can be run with only the Cannon DigiTroll transducer. There is no need for a Humminbird unit to run the bottom tracking on a DigiTroll 10. On the DigiTroll 5 the Humminbird is needed as the master. I hope this helps. Please let me know any questions.
    Thanks!
    Dave Maryanov

PS... I dont always get a chance to log on, so feel free to e-mail me with any questions at dave.maryanov@johnsonoutdoors.com

Thanks all of you!

Now I only need to make up my mind and make a descion based upon the info you supplied me with =)
    Let me know if you visit Sweden and I show you how it all worked out during a fishing trip ;)

//Ronny