Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pier Addiction - 05 Caravelle 230

After years of fishing in a 17'er, I decided to upgrade last year. 2005 Caravelle 230 with 320hp Volvo 5.7. Love the ride of this boat, steep deadrise but still stable in the trough. Looking to upgrade to 2 HDS units this year.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions on planer mast setups, mine was a temporary setup last year, I'd love to hear them. Want to mount the masts as far up front on the top as possible. Having trouble finding adequate mounting and not crazy about drilling into the top. Looking some sort of clamping system if that makes sense?

Mattcaravelle starboard.jpgcaravelle port.jpgcaravelle dash.jpgcaravelle day.jpgcaravelle red light 1.jpg

Nice!!
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Nice rig. For the mast, I would mount the reels on the back corners of your top. If you don't want to drill a hole and mount an eye bolt in the frame of the top for the pulleys, you could use the old style dipsey snubbers to hold the pulleys to the frame. This would also take some of the stress of the pulley and the planer board in rough water keeping it from jerking the boards out of the water. My dad actually did this with a convertible top and worked great for years.

Schweeeet ride!
    Broadcast

Jeff

That is a beautiful rig! I am drooling here.

That's a great looking walkaround. Nicely outfitted too!
    Jason Jensen
    1988 Starcraft Islander 261V - Sold
    2004 Smokercraft 172 Pro-Angler
    2001 Glacier Bay 2680 Catamaran

On my boat's Ttop I had Big Jon planer reels mounted/clamped to the front of the T-Top. I found that i almost never used the boards so I took them off. They did work very well there and the height off the water would be about the same as your boat. It was easy to reel in/out with the spools inline with the line going off the reel. No need for pulleys either. Sorry I don't have any pictures.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Thanks for the compliments everyone on the boat.

Seacatmich, I may try going that route, the other option is to utilize some type of rod holder, like the Fish On Sports, which clamp to the larger rails and then slip some sort of mast in there then sleeve and pin it. Not sure yet. I may try your idea first though as it would be a cleaner install and cheaper route. You didn't ever have any issues with turning tightly if need be and the planer line becoming an issue?

Wish I had a picture to show but my big jon board mast sits 3 feet back from the bow of my 23 footer, I used hand crank reels attached to the radar arch for a couple of years and then upgraded to big jon electric reels attached directly to the mast. This makes pulling the boards in quicker and easier as the switches are located on each side of the cockpit. The mast is mounted to a quick release slider which is thru bolted through the deck to a backing plate. Additional support is provided by 2 small cables from the top of the mast to railing stanchions. This setup puts the cords from the mast away from dipsey rods even when turning. I use 10' of eighth inch line, a quick release and a large duolock snap connected to each board line to pull the board lines in close for connecting fishing lines. Using electric reels for boards is like comparing hand crank riggers to electrics, once you push a button to raise em, you're spoiled forever.
    Hawghunter
    "We follow the fish"
    23' 1976 Formula Thunderbird
    http://www.hawghuntersportfishing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by duckfoot View Post
    Thanks for the compliments everyone on the boat.

Seacatmich, I may try going that route, the other option is to utilize some type of rod holder, like the Fish On Sports, which clamp to the larger rails and then slip some sort of mast in there then sleeve and pin it. Not sure yet. I may try your idea first though as it would be a cleaner install and cheaper route. You didn't ever have any issues with turning tightly if need be and the planer line becoming an issue?
    Turning tightly with a big board planer system is never a good thing -- it is a bad idea for the most part in trolling period, but with big boards it is a real problem. The ideal implementation for the reels is as far forward and as high as possible above the water. But, if the boat is turned too fast the inside line/board is going to go dead/slack and the outside line/board can get behind the boat. My best guide was to use the inside board as a pivot point on a turn and make sure that the line to it was kept tight.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

How did you mount your kicker? Also, do you have it connected to a autopilot?

Quote Originally Posted by plymouthpd View Post
    How did you mount your kicker? Also, do you have it connected to a autopilot?
    I actually sold the kicker last year, kicking myself now that I know about the TR1. Had ez-steer and just couldn't get it right. Anyway, my buddy welded the bracket for me. The topside was basically plate steel with a bend and gussets welded to it for strength, then underneath we made steel brackets that we bolted through the platform into the topside of the mount. There is not a lot of swim platform options out there and this was a lot better than anything you could by and was relatively cheap to do at less than $100. If you want the pics, let me know, and I can go out and take some.

Nice boat I have the exact same one besides mine is white with blue lettering I like what you did with the kicker.
    What kind of interior lights are those

They were just some cheap led rope lights tucked under the gunnels. I ended up taking them off as they were cheap and worked intermittently. Now I just have the LED spreader lights which work great. I sent you a pm on a few things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hmdangler View Post
    Nice boat I have the exact same one besides mine is white with blue lettering I like what you did with the kicker.
    What kind of interior lights are those

And now I'm the proud new owner of this rig. I've already done a few minor modifications to it including adding a 9.9 Yamaha to it. Can't wait to get out fishing. Thanks Matt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast