Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BIG HONEY, 1968 Arkansas Traveler Gemini (RESURRECTION!!!)

Here's a boat my Dad got new in 68' and we used for a while before it fell into disrepair, seized outboard, rotted floor, stringers and transom.

after dumping the original Evinrude Starflite 80 and grinding out every stick of wood I replaced the wood with marine grade plywood, stringers, ribs, transom and floor, adding a cut rectangular hole up under the front deck to sink a cooler into. As for the floor, its coated in resin and is getting a few coats of the new rustoleum brand resore (TM) 4X deck coating.

As for power I have a 1973 "old smoky" 115 2-stroke ready to hang waiting in the garage.

I also have some retro style back to back fold down seats and 17 yards of dark blue sunbrella waiting to be made into trim pieces, coaming pads, and maybe a top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's few more shots over time...
    Attached Images Attached Images

the old girl is looking good !

sweet, what a classic

I'm thinking about reinforcing the inside of the transom...

My plan is to buy a 6 foot piece of .250 AS aluminum angle iron and glassing in into the inside of the transom right over the lower outboard mounting holes and then tightening the bolts as the fiber reinforced resin "goo" sets.

Then, I want to bolt angled "arms" from the lower outboard bolts (inside) extending forward about 2 feet to be through bolted to the floor...

The outside would get a 1/8 inch aluminum plate under all 4 bolts of the outboard bracket.

Next steps

I ordered some 2-1/2 inch aluminum "U" Channel to cap the transom. Can't wait to get it in, measure the angles, cut, polish and install it.

Well... After 2 full weeks of sinus problems and allergies I was finally able to get my respirator on and paint.

Got 2 coats of sandable primer on the motor well.

UPS lost the metal U channel and sent it back to the shipper. after 10 whole days it should be here today :(

slow going, but still...

After being able to breathe better I've been able to sand the motor well and put on 2 coats of primer then one coat of the topsides paint just to see how its going to go on (hopefully smooth?)

I redid the steering arm bolts from steel to stainless and the 4 bracket bolts from the old rusty ones to all stainless as well.

Next, I'll see how the paint goes... Maybe smooth enough to go ahead and do the rest of the topsides without too much sanding and priming. After will be the interior, seats, transom cap, and NAVY blue sides of the boat, then motor, electronics and maybe... Maybe even (GASP!!!!!) rod holders.
    Last edited by Dirk of the North; 07-11-2014 at 10:55 PM.

So.... Come to find out the boat model is really a Saturn 2. ( apparently, back in the 60's they liked to name stuff after NASA moon mission rockets...)

I'd post some more progress pictures, but the webpage fails me every time I go to upload... :(

Try using FireFox and going advanced to upload pics. If you still have problems, you can email me the pics (Seacatmich@gmail.com) and I can try.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Very cool Dirk!
    Dave Mull
    Paw Paw, MI

Thanks Dave-

Since I sold the SLICKCRAFT (*sigh) I've had to get myself into this project so as to go out on the water once more.

Tonight I planed a 2 inch thick by 8 inch by 6 foot reclaimed piece of teak and then have been ripping it into 3/4 inch strips so I can edge glue them back into a set of boards for the trim in the boat.

Its slow going, but I had help AND it kept my 11 year old daughter off of her smart phone for a whole hour!

Picture uploading?

So, I downloaded the firefux browser...

STILL a no go to upload pix.

Been hard at work, sanding and priming the transom, motorwell, topsides, etc...

I finished the topsides painting and have been putting on the solid teak coaming trim inside the cabin and the blue rubber trimming...

REALLY looks sharp... I could post some pictures... :( :( :( :(

off season 2014 recap/ 2015 Preview

Well, Here we are in the dead of winter. I've been jumping on every spare penny to finish her up in the spring, even found ok paint for the trailer for ONE CENT a quart at Le homme Depot.

As far as progress, I spent much of the summer working 40 hours at my day job, but found some hours to get a ton of stuff done on the boat too. I've got the whole transom capped in polished 2X2 "U" channel and caulked in with 3M 5200. I've got the splash well painted in and the cable and gas line holes trimmed in with polished aluminum plates.

The whole floor is painted. the starboard side of the boat and transom are all painted in Dark Navy blue. All of the topsides are painted brilliant white. The white paint is all cut in around the windshield, dash, all edges 3 coats, rub rail too, even the red/green bow light is on.

I've got my "Old smoky" Johnson 115 with controls, wires, cable and fuel line waiting on a stand in the garage.

As far as electronics I've got an older (yet nice) Icom VHF and 8 foot glass Shakespeare antenna waiting. No stereo or interior matching blue LED lights yet...

What need to choose next is the FF. I thought to get one with the "side-shooting" imaging and Lake Michigan chip capable ones like the $500 GPS combo units from Humminbird.

Any opinions? BTW, I'm going to be installing it myself and have limited dash space, but can be creative.

STILL, Failing to upload pictures. :(

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast