Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Love posts like this! I can work on boats until my hands bleed. As the proud owner of a 1955 Modern Runabout with a Mahogany plywood hull and a 1958 Mercury 55HP. I have experienced this first hand - so to speak. Keep up the good work. Nothing like the first shakedown cruise in a beautiful looking boat that you have refurbished yourself. Have fun with it! Good work!

More photos please. Thanks Sea Cat!!

HEY THANKS U D! So funny to see green grass and plants.

I could not find any coaming pads I like or could even afford, JFC they are expensive!

The solid teak "coaming boards" were once a trolling board that spent 20 years on Lake Michigan with all sorts of riggers and rod holders bolted to it. It was SO beat up that I chose to rip it into strips and edge glue them to get a nice plane-able surface and reduce the profile and weight.

Cut and sanded them and did the poly treatment before through bolting them.

Well... Here we are going into the summer.

Luckily, my working employment situation has taken a HUGE jump in a positive direction! I am now so busy I'm not having ANY time to work on my boat.

So.... For now, its onl hold. Hopefully, after July first I can get back out there under the canopy and get busy hanging the engine, rigging the controls and installling the seats, electronics and whole kit...

Until then!

Love this post great read

thank you

Well guys,

Its been a busy summer around here what with work and chores and an AF1 tornado hitting our neighborhood, butI've managed to scape up just enough money to keep adding parts onto the BIG HONEY once in a while, namely an "Olde smokey" used Johnson 115 I picked up from Frank at (you guessed it) CALUMET MARINE! I haven't run in yet, but it seems to be in excellent shapre for a 1975 outboard motor and is a significant jump up from the 'Older smokier" starflite 80 the boat came with.

I've put on the fuel line and spalsh boot, connected the steering and connected the engine harness.
    I've also custom made and installed the poly board battery tray and put in a battery. Next, I wired for power up front with a 9 pole bus, wired in the front nav light and put a horn into the starboard side bow. I have also done both sides tie down/ski rings.

Lastly, for this post is the starting point for a nice aluminum trolling bar that was once a genuine railroad crossing gate a truck drove through one Icy morning about 10 years ago. It was sitting in the snowbank next to the tracks. It had an 800 number on it to report dangerious conditions so I called the railroad and asked for it. They said "OK" so its mine now.
    I found some nice welded rod holders, but they were too wide, so I had to shave the sides to make them fit, not too bad. The trolling board will get a welded pipe through it so it will slide down through the rod holders and into fitting when it comes time to fish.

[edit -- pics added -- SeaCat 8/16/15]

Click pic to view bigger
    Battery.jpg Bow Light.jpg
    Cable Control.jpg Latch.jpg Side.jpg

Rod Holder.jpg Splash w OB.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SeaCat; 08-16-2015 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Added pics for Dirk

The dark navy hull with white top side is one of my favorite color schemes. Would love to see an updated picture.

FOr some reason I cannot seem to upload the pictures, the website just keeps saying "upload failed"
    I have emailed a bunch to seacat, but i think its going to have to wait into the work week for them to get onto the forum...

Just went through another round of shopping for the boat and was able to find some interlocking foam flooring mats to cut in around the seats once they are in AND bought a very cool 3 color LED system so I can have 32 feet total of under gunwale controllable lighting!

Lastly I have the aluminum pipe to weld up the supports for the removable trolling board.

FINALLY got the LED lights taped up under the gunwale (3M stickyback lights) Its went on well and the controller makes them run great, blink, fade, slow/fast , etc... Got the big eye roll from my better half, but its going to be great. Blue because the boat is blue, red for night vision and all 3 (red/green/blue) on for white.

Green:IMG_0320[1].jpgRed: IMG_0319[1].jpg

Also using anti-fatigue mats I will cut to fit around the seat bases (once installed)

Its been a while since I did an update...

Its DONE! Over the past 2 summers and into falls I've put it all together. I bought a garmin 73sv FF and plotter, stereo, VHF and antenna, nav lights, and all the kit.

As a surprise I was gifted a set of gently used BIG JON captains pack DR's with the ball cradles and rod holders, A hugely generous act from my fishing mentor Cliff J!!! They are beyond my dreams, and with a little rewiring will have the ever-popular auto stops installed!

I am pleased with the 1975 Johnson 115 2 stroke I bought from Calumet Marine. It pushes the 17 foot hull along at a very satisfying 35 MPH!!!! Its sound is music to me.

Here is one from an earlier charter, not my little boat...

any more pictures????? would like to see it on the water...

I do have more pictures, just can't get them on the site with this computer.

Will have to get them on with another laptop soon.

ok Thanks... is inspiring to see rebuilds like this

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast