Great Lakes Angler Forum

Good L.Erie Walleye stick baits???

Renoskis shallow running 5' stick baits have been my goto L.Erie walleye bait for the past 15 years. Like everything else they used to be made in USA, now there made in china,vietnam or mexico. Recent new ones I bought are filling up with water thru tiny holes I cannot even see. Obviously they can't be running right filled with water. We typically run them behind 3,5 or 10 color of leadcore off church boards with very good results. I know theres a bunch, but what would be a comparable stickbait to the renoski 5' shallow runner??? My old renoskis are still catching lots of walleye,but there starting to get beat up and will need to be replaced. No experience with Husky Jerks but looking at them recently the H-12 looks very comparable to the 5' renoski. Quality looks very good and good color selection. BTW, we like to troll from 1.5 to 2.5 depending on time of year. Any opinions appreciated.

The Smithwick Rattlin Rogues have been good for early season on Lake Erie. Check the individual model depth curves at this site: http://www.lurenet.com/brands/smithwick Click on an indivual model for the depth info.

Reef Runner Lil Ripper 500 Series are also good but a little different style and get down to 7'.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Aside from what has been mentioned, reef runners, Storm Hot-n-tots, & brad's wigglers (or Storm Wiggle Warts), all deliver for me. Also, these (or the deeper diving versions) likely have been my most productive over the last 3 years,
    http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/crankba...es/341528.aspx

Also, meant to note the Challenger Minnow & Junior Minnow from Challenger Lures

be sure to give the LIVE TARGET lures various Smelt patterns a shot http://livetargetlures.com/products/...bananabait.php

Michael, Looks like you fish the Eastern Basin. You have the size right big baits, colder water DHJ 12's have a more subtle action run slow. Warmer water 800 series Reef Runners more of a hunting action, you do have to tune the Reef Runners quite a bit, but they catch a lot of fish. Good Luck this Year!!

You might also check out the "Perfect 10". Pretty sure it's by Smithwick.

There's tons to choose from. Husky's and Reef's are always popular and for good reason. I bet the new Shadow Raps will do well. If your running lead core and like the Renosky's dont forget Long A's. Bombers are very good. Bandit has a deep and shallow option and I think the B Shad will be very good on wire for you Eastern Basin guys. Smithwick Perfect 10's and Elite 8's do REALLY well in cold water with tadpoles or snap weights (I don't know why leadcore would be any different)