Great Lakes Angler Forum

FAQ Tutorial on Posting Pictures

With many members reporting problems in posting pictures within threads, I decided that a post of how to do it was needed.

FIRST go to your user profile settings (Click HERE) and change your editor preference to ENHANCED Editor -- toward the bottom of the page.

The software that GLA's forum system uses has two methods to attach pictures -- 1) Attachment Manager and 2) Insert Image. The forum software was updated to the latest version a little while back because neither was working. Unfortunately the attachment manager is still broken BUT using the Insert Image method works fine.

Using Insert Image will let you either point at a picture/image hosted on another web site or upload it to GLA from your PC.

To insert an image into your post do the following:

1. Position your cursor in the text area at the spot where you want the picture to be displayed -- usually on the start of a new line is best.

2. Click on the INSERT IMAGE icon from the editor tool bar above the message box -- looks like: Insert Image Icon.JPG

3. This will display a new window like this:

Click image to make bigger
    Insert Image new.JPG
    From Computer tab screen

OR this

Upload URL screen.jpg
    From URL tab screen

4. There are two tabs at the top: From Computer and From URL

Choose the tab that you need -- computer if the file is on your computer/phone or URL if it is on another website such as PhotoBucket

To upload from your computer
    a. Click the From Computer tab
    b. click on the [Choose File] button
    c. This will open up a File Manager window on your PC and you will need to navigate to the picture to be uploaded
    d. Once you choose the file and click open you will come back to the upload file window and the file name will be to the right of the [Choose File] button.
    f. Below the [Choose File] button you should see "Upload File(s)", click on "Upload File(s)"
    g. The file will now be uploaded and will show in your post

To upload/insert from another site/URL
    a. Click the From URL tab
    b. You will now need to enter the URL of the picture you want to display into the URL field
    c. For most web hosted pictures you can right click on the picture and choose "Copy image URL" to get its URL
    d. Once you have the URL you can right click in the field and choose "Paste" from the list to put it in the field
    e. Leave the check box next to "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" is checked -- this will copy the picture to GLA so that it will still be viewable even if it is deleted on the other website
    f. Then click [OK] to insert your picture

5. You can now continue to enter more text into your post and/or insert another picture by repeating step 4. Up to 15 pictures can be put in each post/reply.

Notes:

* Pictures need to be smaller than 1500x1500 pixels and the file needs to be smaller than 2 MBytes
    * Pictures bigger than 600x600 pixels will be displayed as thumbnails so that the format of the post/reply remains readable. When viewing you can click on the picture to view it full size.

I am still trying to figure out why the Attachment Manager feature is not working but you can use the Insert Image to do pictures.

If anyone still has a problem, please post or send me a PM.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

I can't find anyway to post pictures. I don't get a insert image icon or editor toolbar or anyway to post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by fsnrod View Post
    I can't find anyway to post pictures. I don't get a insert image icon or editor toolbar or anyway to post pictures.
    I checked your user settings and found you had Do Not Show Editor Toolbar selected, I changed it to the Show Enhanced (WYSIWYG) Editor Toolbar. Lety me know if this does not fix it.

If others are having this problem, do the following:

1. Click on "Forum Actions" in the main forum menu and then choose "General Settings" from the drop down menu

Click to view bigger
    General Settings.JPG

2. Scroll down on the General Settings screen to near the bottom and find the "Miscellaneous Options" section and look for the "Message Editor Interface:" group

3. Choose the Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing so you can access all of the editing features when posting

Click to view bigger
    Misc Options.JPG

4. After choosing your Editor Interface, scroll to the bottom and click on [Save Changes]

Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Do you have any tiPs for uploading pictures from an iPhone? For some reason I can select the picture but then I can't go any further with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Candan1086 View Post
    Do you have any tiPs for uploading pictures from an iPhone? For some reason I can select the picture but then I can't go any further with it.
    Posting direct from most current smart phones is an issue mainly because the picture files are too big. Modern smart phones with 8 Megapixel resolution store pictures that can be very large in dimensions and file sizes.

I upload or email the pictures to my laptop and then use a picture editor program to downsize them and then upload them to GLA. Generally you need to get the picture file under 2 MB in size and the picture dimensions to have 12" as the max width or height.

I use a freeware program called IRFANVIEW to do the adjustments. Just resizing the pic to be less than 12" does not always get the file size small enough. The program also lets me change the color depth from 16 million colors down to 256 colors which usually does it -- 256 colors are fine since 99% of the time the human eye can't tell the difference on a computer screen. IRFANVIEW also lets me use other automated tools such as auto-adjust colors or brightness to "enhance" any pics that were not perfect. Can also crop the picture to take out extra stuff. There are many tools out there, that just happens to be what I use (and can help others with, since I use it ).

Another option is to change the resolution of your phone's camera to take 2 Meg pics instead of the higher resolutions. This might get your picture size small enough for direct upload.

A third option is to not go direct to GLA to host the pictures. You can store the pictures on a hosting site such as Photo Bucket and then link to them in your GLA post -- how to do this outlined in the 2nd half of the How To FAQ above. I know that PhotoBucket.com has smart phone apps for both Androids and iPhones to make uploading to their site very easy.

The reason that hosting sites such as Photo Bucket can support larger picture sizes that GLA is $$$. They have the Internet bandwidth and storage space to support millions of users and picture files. It is cost prohibitive for GLA to do the same.

Hopefully this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

SeaCat Hi,
    This has nothing to do with pictures but is an on going problem for me and this is why I post very little.
    I can write a reply and go to send it and it locks up. I can wait 2 minutes to as much as 20 some and nothing happens. All I get is a white blank screen.

I have rebooted and so forth and it does not change. Some times it takes days before it works again.
    I logged out of the forum once to see if this helped. It took several days and many pass word resets before I could get back in.

Normally I would think it might be my tablet but this is the only forum I have issues with and dont you know it is the one I want to be active in. lol

Any way any advise would be great.....
    Thank you
    Jim.....

If you are sending pictures you could do what I do--- just send the camera to Ryan !

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Catcher Jim View Post
    SeaCat Hi,
    This has nothing to do with pictures but is an on going problem for me and this is why I post very little.
    I can write a reply and go to send it and it locks up. I can wait 2 minutes to as much as 20 some and nothing happens. All I get is a white blank screen.

I have rebooted and so forth and it does not change. Some times it takes days before it works again.
    I logged out of the forum once to see if this helped. It took several days and many pass word resets before I could get back in.

Normally I would think it might be my tablet but this is the only forum I have issues with and dont you know it is the one I want to be active in. lol

Any way any advise would be great.....
    Thank you
    Jim.....
    I PM'd you too Jim, but just so other will see too... This is a problem that is affecting many -- including me. The web site hosting company is aware but has not solved the problem. As someone who does IT network/servers stuff, I'm pretty sure that it is a DNS issue at the server. The hosting company is planning to migrate the GLAnglerForums.com site to new servers, but we don't have an ETA yet.

If other are having the problem please email me (seacatmich@gmail.com) -- better than PMing since sometimes I can't get in and often if I try to reply to a PM it locks the site for me too.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by msubeaver View Post
    If you are sending pictures you could do what I do--- just send the camera to Ryan !
    Actually he has just emailed the pictures to me... not the whole camera
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

I inserted a couple of pics on view my rig and when I went to review post they were sideways and upside down. I couldn't rotate them right side up, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by dmuskypete3 View Post
    I inserted a couple of pics on view my rig and when I went to review post they were sideways and upside down. I couldn't rotate them right side up, any ideas?
    Have to fix that before you upload them. A good freeware program for Windows that I use is called IRFANVIEW that will let you rotate, resize, enhance colors...

Another option is to setup an account at a site such as PhotoBook and upload the pics there. They have tools to adjust the pictures and then you can just link to them in posts rather than uploading.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaCat View Post
    I PM'd you too Jim, but just so other will see too... This is a problem that is affecting many -- including me. The web site hosting company is aware but has not solved the problem. As someone who does IT network/servers stuff, I'm pretty sure that it is a DNS issue at the server. The hosting company is planning to migrate the GLAnglerForums.com site to new servers, but we don't have an ETA yet.

If other are having the problem please email me (seacatmich@gmail.com) -- better than PMing since sometimes I can't get in and often if I try to reply to a PM it locks the site for me too.
    This has been fixed for a while. No one ever said what the changed, but it went away a few weeks after I reported the problem.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Ryan,
    Still having photo upload options, I don't get the computer option tab, only the url tab.
    Thanks
    Dave