Great Lakes Angler Forum

lake St Clair walley

I hear mixed messages about fishing for walleye in st clair.
    i know the st clair river can produce, but what about the lake it's self?
    thanks
    john

Not nearly as good for walleye as it is for muskie and bass, but there are walleye out there. Same techniques as other big water walleye fisheries such as Erie and Sag Bay will work. If you really want to target walleye, I'd go a few miles down I75 to Erie. If you want to target multi species, it is a good place to fish. Depending on the wind, some days you can fish St. Clair when Erie is too rough.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Thanks Seacat,

I maybe should have asked my question more clearly.
    I have fished Trenton channel and lake Erie and am aware of what a great fishery it is, but I have moved to a much larger boat and don't plan to run like I used to.
    I use to have a 29 foot boat in Manistee and fished salmon, and chased them all over.

The new boat is larger and has big blocks, and to use it more, I have decided to keep it closer to home in St Clair.
    That was the reasons for the original question.
    I have done the musky and smallie thing but never pursued walleye in that lake.
    I was wondering ... is there a better time and place, to try to get on the walleye.
    I heard perch is good early on and I will be trying to put some of those on plate as well.
    Any info would be great!
    Thanks
    John

In May you can catch walleye from metro beach south to 9 mile in 6 to 14 fow slow trolling harnesses. Basically when the St clair river starts popping they will start biting in the lake. These fish will move out into the main lake near the shipping channel for the rest of the summer. Again crawler harnesses shine on St Clair. 1 oz inline weights trolled from inline planers with tattle flags. Tattle flags are very important because of the amount of floating weeds on St Clair. Any weeds and that line is useless. You can also troll St. Clair river in may and early June with bottom bouncers and harnesses trolling WITH the current just fast enough to keep the spinner turning which may be 3 to 4 mph SOG. Marine City down to Algonac are the traditional areas. As others have said this is not Erie or Saginaw. You may punch a ticket now and then, most times 5-7 fish is a good day some days 1-2 is all you get. Nice thing is the smallies, perch, pike, sunnies, rockies tend to keep you busy.

Thanks a lot,

I'm gonna give it a go and see what I can as make happen.
    Really want to hook up on some Musky again, not big on fight..... but sure look cool in the pictures.
    Smallies are going to be cool for a change too.
    Maybe next year i'll take the boat around to west side and do that again, but this year is going to be a nice change.
    Thanks again!!!

john

Just returned from my first trip after walleye.
    We were just shaking down the boat, but went up north channel right where it dumps into the lake and took three walleye near the grass island.
    It was fun and good eaters.
    Made three passes on a hole and picked up a fish each time.
    its not like Erie, you have to have boat control and be on your game in a bigger boat.
    now need to find some perch