Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Torpedo Diver vs. Dive Bomb

Since I have a 16' boat and don't have room for a ton of rods on the boat I plan on using either dive bombs or torpedo divers vs. having different copper and lead combinations and having to purchase more reels and rods. These tools seem to be a good alternative to reach different depths without the need to have a boat load of rods.

So, I noticed a big difference in price from the torpedo divers vs. the dive bombs. Torpedo divers are about 18 bucks a piece depending on size, and dive bombs are about 4 or 5 bucks a piece.

Is the only advantage of torpedo divers over dive bombs that they don't have the resistance in the water? It appears they do dive a littler deeper.

If you have used one, or both please give me your opinions as I plan to purchase in the near future.

Thanks...

RE: Torpedo Diver vs. Dive Bomb

I have not used the Torpedo divers. I think they are fairly new. The first time I have seen them is at this years G. R. fishing show. I have used dive bombs on lead core with great success. I used a 3 oz on a full core and a 4 oz on a core and half. I can't tell you what depth I acheived but I caught fish.

I have used both, the dive bomb a little and not too much experince with it.

I have two + complete sets of Torpedos on the boat. I can't say enough about these things. The charts they come with are extremely accurate. We started using them in the early tournaments in April when we needed more rods down below the coho. I dont like using 4 downriggers since it seems to spook the kings. We can use the two smaller torpedoes off planer boards, and the two larger ones right next to the boat, in place of the out riggers, inside of a dipsy. They were firing all the time. One of our hottest setups was a half core with a shark torpedo in front, taking it down an additional 20', off a board.

I think if i were out in a small boat, say going to canada or whatever, I would take a few of these along rather than a downrigger or snap weights. Very stealthy set up, and very accurate.

If you get them, make sure you know how the clip with the pin works, and put it on the clip with the pin keeping the line in. With out it the torpedo will fall off. with it, it cant.

Jeff Eck
    The Rodfather
    Pier 1000
    St Joseph, Michigan
    Jeff Eck
    The Rodfather
    Out of Michigan City.
    www.therodfathercharterfishing.com

Champ Guest

I have no experience with the Torpedo Divers and I am sure they work fine. With the addition of a 8oz, 10oz and 12oz dive bomb this year for an approx retial cost of $6.99 I am sure dive bombs will remain the popular choice. I have a 21 foot boat and can't store a ton of rods dive bombs have alowed me to fill the small gaps between half core and full core and so on.

Russell Gahagan

I think I'm going to go with the dive bombs. I want to help get my baits to any depth i want without having a 6,7,etc. core rod. It is a cheap alternative.

Thanks for the opinions.

With the Torpedo Diver you can run it by itself or behind, in the middle or in front of leadcore/copper. You can also use the Torpedo Diver to make your downriggers stealthier.
    The Shark, Musky and Cuda Torpedo have a sharp angle of decent and therefore you can attached fixed sliders to your line and get more lures on your line and still have precision depth. A 2.5 oz Torpedo Diver will take your line down 45 feet at 2mph and will double your 10 colour leadcore depth. Torpedo's come with complete speed charts 1mph to 4 mph as mentioned earlier. Torpedo Divers don't have drag.

Engineering the next generation of fishing gear.
    Owner: Torpedo Fishing Products

Talking about dive bombs, I was at a salmon seminar and the Scotty guys were talking about 4oz doubling the depth of a core. That being said, I can't see a 4 oz weight taking a 10 colour to 20, Anyone have any guesses on how deep a 4 oz will take a 3, 5 and 10 colour?

I have yet to use the Torpedo divers also but I have used dive bombs for several years and like them a lot.
    They are perfect for getting more out of what you have without spending too much money. I am sure that torpedo divers work, but I wouldn't want to think about how much money I would lose if I lost a setup using one considering the reason I am buying it is to save money......10 color core,50 foot segment of flouro, tournament swivel, flasher, fly, 24-36 inches of flouro, gamagatsu hook......and dive bomb or torpedo??? I will take my chances of it happening 5 times versus one.....every year it gets more and more expensive to lose equipment!!!

With the dive bombs: Fishing DIve bombs for the most part is very simple -- split your core ex: 10 color - attatch it after 5 colors then let out the next 5 then hook up board. This will add 35' of depth to the 10 color. It is also laid out in the new precision trollling book.

Hope this helps- email me with any more questions@
    fishinphilly@hotmail.com
    GUN

RUN-N-GUN CHARTERS

www.rngcharters.com

When you say split your core are you referring to where to place the dive bomb on your line?

ex. 5 color put dive bomb at 2.5 colors
    or if 7 color put on at 3.5?

I thought i had it all figured o ut, then i got out on the lake nad was fishing and thought to myself, now where the heck to I attach the dive bomb.

Thank you...I might have to purchase a new precision trolling book.

Time to bring up this old thread and I will start first by saying I have little interest in the dive bombs. I would like some feedback form someone who have ran torpedo divers. Mostly how much you could get them off teh the side of the boat with the directional fin, how much drag they have behind an offshore board, and if your ran them in place of dipseys outside your riggers how did you deploy them, and what color you like.

I am looking at getting one for sure to check it out but dont know if an offshore will handle hte biggest size well.

If the directional fin catches like a dipsey does, I would think you set it right away outside of a rigger line and keep it tight while playing it out slowly sliding away from the boat.

Advantage to me look like
    1. Long leads, very stealthy
    2. Less drag than a mag dipsey but still getting down to 100 feet on braid
    3. Supposed to be no drag coming back in once the fish is on, so you feel the fish and not the diver in the water
    4. I can just clip it on a regular rod or a short leadcore rod, which would turn my 2 color steelhead/swr rig into a deep diver and give me alot of options with one rod.

When I started I ran a product called a fishseeker up the chute and caught fish on it, very light, easy to store, but only a 8 foot leader or so was possible and its did not pull well behind a board, also not at all directional.

Comments from the guys that use the torpedoes would be great .
    23.5 and 19.6 kings from Kewaunee, August 2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UXiMHLk0es
    I'm not a Pro, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

Well, I have little interest in the Torpedos(pricey and I fish alone a lot so they are not easy to get off the line compared to the Dive Bombs when I have a fish on), so if anyone has any definitive depth information on what they can acheive with various Dive Bomb set-ups in the new weights, please post.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty Whaler View Post
    Well, I have little interest in the Torpedos(pricey and I fish alone a lot so they are not easy to get off the line compared to the Dive Bombs when I have a fish on), so if anyone has any definitive depth information on what they can acheive with various Dive Bomb set-ups in the new weights, please post.
    Seems like with either one fishing solo, you have to use at least one hand to get the weight off the line......looks like you need two hands to get a dive bomb off (pull the pin and then catch the weight), and one to just reach up and unsnap the offshore release or church clip on a torpedo diver. Add that to the outstanding depth charts that come with the Torpedo divers- accurate and free. The Dive bomb basically is about as appealing to me as a snap weight which, by the way, seems easier to remove from the line when the time comes than a Dive Bomb.

I have nothing against Dive Bombs, but that whole 'being short handed' argument seems invalid, or at least a wash by comparison. No disrespect to you TW, as I enjoy your posts and information.
    Last edited by ChampionShip; 04-21-2011 at 02:07 PM.

I well I would certainly rather unclip that torpedo than try to net a salmon with a dipsey and 8 foot lead. I fish with boards all the time for walleyes and on the big pond and take my board off alone all the time. Even with others in the boat I just do it and don't think twice, I stand the rod up against me hold the line and pop the releases, once free walk backwards to pick up any slack and reel immediately. I never loose fish this way. Actually I lose for fish when two people do it becuase of poor rod angles and slack. That being said do whay your comfortable with, I will gladly pop that one release on the torpedo and be able to reel the fish close to the rod tip and be very easy to net. I fish alone a lot too. Now will they track wider than my riggers, that's what I'm dieing to know!
    23.5 and 19.6 kings from Kewaunee, August 2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UXiMHLk0es
    I'm not a Pro, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

Quote Originally Posted by bluecollaroutdoors View Post
    ...Now will they track wider than my riggers, that's what I'm dieing to know!
    I discussed this with Matt Sawrei (owner of Torpedo Diver) at the Flint Steelheaders show, and he said that the Torpedo Diver weights will angle out enough to clear downriggers with no problems. They don't pull out as far as a Dipsy/Slide/Deeper diver can on 2+ Dipsy settings, but also don't loose depth like the planing divers do either. Matt is here on GLA (contributed to this thread last year - 5th reply above) -- send him a PM for detailed info. Good guy that gives straight info on his products.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes
    Owner: NetBungee -- http://www.netbungee.com &
    Michigan Slamon Spectacular - http://www.MichiganSalmonSpectacular.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast