Great Lakes Angler Forum

Suggestions for port in the spring

With Salmon fishing the way it was this year I am seriously thinking of starting next year out chasing Walleye, which would be a new game to me.

I live in the central Michigan area and currently thinking either the Toledo Beach,
    Luna Pier area or Saginaw Bay/ Au Gres area.

Any suggestions on marinas? Would probably rent a slip for a couple months.

Which port and why you suggest it?

Thanks in advance
    USCG Captains License, Master 50 gross ton

Toledo Beach is an okay facility. They also offer in/out rack service. The launch ramp is okay for putting the boat in/out for a slip but I wouldn't want to use it every day to launch. There is a fish cleaning station but it is not well maintained compared to facilities at the Sterling State Park launch or Luna Pier.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

I also live in the central Michigan area and have decided to fish walleye in the spring and we will be going to AuGres. My buddy fishes there and he says it is great fishing.. He stays at the city park and the boat launch is right there. somebody also told me about a place called sleepy oaks and for $500 a month you get a camping site and a boat dock.. We are sick of Manistee.... Good Luck

Thanks goldy lox, looking for a marina that rents slips by the month.
    Preferably with electric and a bath house as we stay on the boat.
    Maybe we will see you over there in the spring.
    USCG Captains License, Master 50 gross ton

Linwood Beach Marina and Campground might be another option to check out. I went with a friend there once and thought it was a decent facility. It's more toward the inner bay so don't know how long it might be good for the walleye fishery. Others will have to chime in for the migration pattern of the bay walleye. I suspect that fishery will get a lot more attention now considering the condition of the salmon fishery. Just like the BKD disease days. Same thing happened back then.