Great Lakes Angler Forum

Looking for new Vecicle to Tow a TROPHY 1802

I'm looking for a new vehicle to tow my Trophy 1802.

I had a Explorer Sport and Explorer 4 door and both experienced a lot of trailer sway at speeds above 50MPH. I had the boat moved 9" forward which helped some but still had sway and thus I do not fish as wide of an area as I would like (Lake Erie, and some lakes in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Ilinois sides of Lake Michigan ). Right now the furthest from Saint Joe I'm willing to go is Manistee. US 31 is such a nice route but I am not willing to chance pulling boat on I-94.

Really would like to hear what other Trophy owners use to tow their boats.....

My boat weights less than 3,100lbs fully loaded with gas and gear (2,550 w/o gear/gas) and above 2 vechicles were supposed to be able to pull that weight.

I'm looking at an F-150 with built in trailer sway control, and I'm being told that I do not need the tow package as the package is for weights exceeding 5,000lbs and needing class IV hitch. When I had boat moved forward it was recommended that I upgrade from class II to class III hitch which I did.

Also regarding the receiver they are made with the ball dropped up to 2", raised up to 2", and even with hitch - which do you use?

Thanks,

Josh Guest

RE: Looking for new Vecicle to Tow a TROPHY 1802

A swaying trailer has nothing to do with the tow vehicle. It is due to not having enough weight on the tongue. Add weight to the front of the boat or move the winch forward if you can.

I don't know anything about Fords other than they are ugly, but I just bought a Dodge Ram 1500 that also has sway control. I opted not to get the factory hitch because it was a $350 option. I ordered a Class IV hitch from etrailer.com for $150 and saved myself 200 bucks. It took me about 45 minutes to install. The truck came pre-wired for lights and the tranny and oil coolers were standard so the only thing added by the towing package was the hitch.

I have a trophy 2002FF with an upgraded 2 axle Shoreland'r trailer.

Tow it with a 1997 Ford Expedition 5.4l. Not a powerhouse but it does the job. My setup is currently to tow the boat about 5 miles from storage to the harbor.

According to previous owner, the previous trailer sucked. The upgraded Shoreland'r is much better.

I do not have the back tied down yet, I had my previous boat tied down in the back and helped a lot with the bouncing feeling. Going to get a tie down strap that goes over the whole boat.

All in all, I like the setup of the rig.

You need a two axle trailer or you don't have enough weight on the tongue.

I tow my 23'Seacraft,(400 miles) that weighs at least 6,000 lbs with fuel, gear, and trailer,with an 05 F150 with the 5.4.
    Before that,I towed a 21' Trophy Hardtop (which is much lighter)with the same vehicle.No problems with either .
    As mentioned,if you are getting too much sway,it's probably from not enough tongue weight.

I don't know much about Dodges,except that they are really ugly,"LOL"so stick with the Ford. Geeze, at least they're not owned by Fiat,and the US govt."LOL".
    John R.
    * Boat- 23' SeaCraft Tsunami
    * Port- Olcott NY.

>I tow my 23'Seacraft,(400 miles) that weighs at least 6,000
    >lbs with fuel, gear, and trailer,with an 05 F150 with the
    >5.4.
    >Before that,I towed a 21' Trophy Hardtop (which is much
    >lighter)with the same vehicle.No problems with either .
    >As mentioned,if you are getting too much sway,it's probably
    >from not enough tongue weight.
    >
    >I don't know much about Dodges,except that they are really
    >ugly,"LOL"so stick with the Ford. Geeze, at least
    >they're not owned by Fiat,and the US govt."LOL".

I guess ugly is in the eyes of the beholder, John. It was all I could do to not hurl in the back of your truck this spring. Just looking at it made me nauseous. :) Dodges are MUCH nicer looking trucks than fuglys. but hey... at least it wasn't a chevy :) :)

Tim
    Salad is what FOOD Eats!!!

Home Port - Olcott, NY
    Boat: 24' Thompson Hardtop

I agree with the other posts that the most likely issue is not enough tongue weight causing your swaying. Another possibility is that you don't have the trailer level with the hitch. Not as big of a problem on a single axle trailer but still can be an issue -- usually where the ball is higher than it should be which in effect lowers the tongue weight.

Since you did move the boat 9" forward and have not seen improvement, you should actually get a weighing to make sure you have around 10% of the total weight of the trailer & boat as your tongue weight (up to the max of your hitch). To do this first get a weight of your tow vehicle by itself. Then hook up the trailer and weigh the vehicle again. The difference between the two weights is your tongue weight. At 3,100# fully loaded you will want a tongue weight in the 300# range.

I had a similar problem with my boat/trailer when I towed it with a 1st gen Dodge Durango. My rig is closer to 6,200# fully loaded and I had to go up to 470# to eliminate the sway at 65 mph. Although the Durango is rated at 7000+ towing it was just plain over matched by my boat. I switched to a Chevy Avalanche 1500 and have been much happier. The 5.2L in the Avalanche just walks off with the boat. The Durango with a 5.3L knew the boat was there at all times. The big difference I see is more HP from the Chevy engine and a bigger overall vehicle -- especially a longer wheelbase. The Avalanche is a full size 1/2 ton SUV (same frame as a Suburban) truck while the Durango is a mid size SUV, so it is not an apples to apples comparison.

I really think the Explorer (especially the 4 door) should handle your boat fine though.

Ryan
    Think [font color="green"]KINGS!![/font]

I used to tow a 215 Four Winns with a Jeep GC I6 and other than being really deliberate from the start the thing was rock solid up to 60 mph. No rear end squat and braking was fine - although I went to ceramic pads for heat dissipation.

I use an Expedition now (5.4L) and tow all over the state, no issues, so you should be fine with the Ford, assuming you get the trailer issues sorted out.

FBD, Holland, MI

The F-150 with the 4.6 motor will tow your rig just fine with a 2 inch drop receiver. You don't need the 5.4 motor. The only addition I would suggest is installing an Air-Aid throttle body extender, around a c note to purchase and 20 minutes to install. I added one to my (5.4) F-150 4X4 and gained 1 mpg around town or pulling my Pro Line 21 footer. Why it isn't OEM from Ford is beyond me - it works.

grayfox Guest

I'm with Joken. If you are looking at Fords the 4.6L is fine for towing your rig. I have the 4.6L in my '04 F-150 and use it to tow my 24' Penn Yan with no problems. Doesnt' burn that much gas towing the boat around either. Towed from Fair Haven to Olcott this spring on about a quarter tank which I didnt think was that bad.

Jacks Dad Guest

It is impossible to spend too much money on a trailer. Worth every penny if you trailer a lot of miles like I do.

I tow a Trophy 2359 wich weighs over 1000 lbs more than that with my 1/2 ton Chevy. That boat is about as much as I would tow with that truck so it would tow an 18 just fine.

I have had a galvanized trailer since 2001 and it is the way to go. No rust AT ALL, my previous painted trailer had rust from day 1.

I would start by measuring the tongue weight, if it is not close to 10% of your total weight of boat and trailer add some weight to the front of the boat until it is and test again.

the simplest way to test the tongue weight is to get a 4 foot 2x6, a bathroom scale, and a couple blocks of wood. place the 2x6 under the tongue of the trailer 24" from the end of the board then put one end on the bathroom scale, now add blocks of wood under the 2x 12" from the tongue on the other side from the scale. set down the tongue and read the scale. multiply the reading by two and that is your tongue weight.

once you have that squared away you should hitch up the boat and park on a level spot, stand back and look to see if the trailer frame is running level, if it is you are fine if it is not then change the reciever to more or less drop until it is close to level. a bit does not matter but you want it close.

if you are still getting sway then you could get a sway control and put it on the trailer, a new truck may or may not help.

good luck,
    jerry