Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

trolling for walleyes

Hi guys, I have a 18' pro v with a XI5 trolling motor the most I can troll with it is about 3 hrs. I have brand new battery's. How do you guys fish longer other then getting a kicker motor? Mike

12v or 24v system? I have a 24v system using Optima batteries they will run all day.

We have the terrova 36volt and can easily get 8 hours out of them. Typically we aren't out longer than that so I'm not sure the full life of them. If you have a 24 or 36 volt, I would imagine you would get about the same.

How do you have your batteries configured? How many volts for the motor?
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

I was wondering the same thing. I just mounted a 36v engine mount with 3 brand new group 31's. Only get about 4 hrs tops.

I have 24v system with 2 12 volt battery in series to make 24 volts. I have the XI 5 80# thrust. I'm not sure how many amps it draws. The battery's say 200min. on each of them. I bought the battery's from battery's plus so I think there good battery's

How fast are you trying to troll? Crankbaits, crawler harnesses?

The Xi5 24v 80# motor is rated at 56 A/H (amps per hour) max draw (full power). A typical group 27 deep cycle has around 90 AH capacity. So two of them in series for 24v would be 180 AH. So the 180 AH total divided by 56 A/H should last around 3.2 hours.

If your batteries are not deep cycle that would also affect how long they last -- "starting" batteries will not do well to supply a steady current and drop off fast after depleted from a full charge plus only have about half the AH as a deep cycle.

I have a friend who is a bass fishing nut and uses his trolling battery all day, day after day. We were talking over the winter and he was installing a set of 6v golf cart batteries in series to provide 24v to his trolling motor. The golf cart batteries are made to provide lots of power over a sustained period -- a single 6v group GC2 battery provides 225 AH. The downside is that they are about the same size as a typical 12v battery and weigh more. But for max hours on a trolling motor that's the way to go. He is getting 2-3 full days of fishing out of his batteries between charges now -- and he is using it 80% of the time on the water. He also fishes fast most of the time looking for active fish.

A lot of guys I know that troll for walleye have gone to using their main engine to supply the forward power and only use the trolling motor to steer with via a wireless remote from the back of the boat. This assumes that 1) you can troll slow enough with the main engine and 2) you can steer at a reduced power/throttle setting on the trolling motor most of the time so you are drawing less power.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Thanks for the advice that helps a lot. We are pulling crawler harnesses at 1.1 to 1.4. and on the St Croix with the current that doesn't help either. But thanks a lot again

Nice job SeaCat!

I used to have a 19' Crestliner with a 24 v system and ran the batteries down all of the time. When I bought my Ranger 620 16 years ago I went with the 36v system and have never run the batteries down yet. I'm currently running an Ulterra bowmount.

I have a 24V Terrova. You can troll all day if you keep it at 4 or less, but if you start creeping up to 5-6, it drains them much faster.

To get more life you have to use the wind if possible or if in the river select spots that are protected or helped by the wind.

Another little trick is to trim up you main motor to get it out of the water and don't put the bowmount down any further than you need to. I can knock my power from a 4 to a 3 or 3-1/2 just by trimming the motor up. This is especially helpful in current.

You can use your big motor to troll slowly if you use a couple drift socks to help slow you. One out each side so you can still steer.

Not sure which direction your going, but I've had better luck trolling with the current than against it.

Both on P4 and the St Croix

Al

I plan on doing the drift socks until I get a kicker set up. I had issues in the past on another boat with carbon buildup on the big engine from trolling all day for a few days straight. I also have a happy troller on the big engine but it is sometimes a pain as it wont engage or sometimes you just forget and bend it when taking off. I use the bow mount when its calm but still think if you troll a lot a kicker is not a bad option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast