Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fins restoration

Here are a few pics of my 1992 Sylvan 20' Sportster before starting work. The floor in the back has a noticeable lean in front of the doghouse and the bow platform is obviously rotten. Seats are rotting also.

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's what I had to deal with after removing the carpet and side panels.

Here it is with the floorboards out and all the waterlogged foam removed. All of the rivets holding the stringers to the ribs were sheared off. The only thing holding them in place was the underfloor foam. The rivets were replaced with 3/16" rivets instead of the original 1/8". I put water in the hull and crawled underneath to look for leaks, drilled out the couple of leaking rivets, and replaced them with the next size larger. After refilling the hull - no leaks ! I epoxied over all the through hull rivets on the inside, and added some under floor rod storage. She's ready for new floorboards and replacement foam.

I'm afraid to do that to ours it would probably look just like that. Nice work.

Good winter project. I've done several like this over the years. I made sure everything going back in was new / ship shape; replacing still-working stuff like pumps, hoses, clamps, etc. The used components can go on the shop shelf as "back-up". Now is the time to re-plumb and re-wire better than factory original. And don't overlook cleaning & pressure testing the fuel tank and making new tank mounting brackets. Post more pics as it comes together so others can learn. Good Luck!!

This might be a silly question, but where is the fuel tank?

Can't wait to see how she turns out!
    Grady White 208 Hardtop

When told 'You stink like fish,' smile and take it as a compliment...

big project. Good luck.

The 24 Gallon aluminum fuel tank was removed from the port side of the engine. That's what started this whole project. The float on the fuel gauge had deteriorated plugging up the fuel lines. After removing the tank, the bottom looked pretty corroded. I didn't want to put it back in the boat after looking at it. Also a little extra fuel capacity would be nice so I've ordered 2 Moeller 19 gallon poly tanks that should fit nicely on each side of the stern and still leave room for batteries.

Although your boat is a Sylvan, your project would fit in very nicely in the iBoats Starcraft forum.
    http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...tarcraft-boats

Lots of pics/ideas/suggestions on how to restore "tinnies".

One common suggestion is after the water leak test is to coat the entire inside of the hull with a sealant called Gluvit to ensure water tightness.

Keep the pics coming as you make progress!

Cool man, post pics when it's all finished!

The new floor is installed ! I cut the pieces from 1/2" marine plywood, and epoxy coated the underside before installing them. Holes were drilled in the floor and 2-part close cell foam poured under the floor. The foam was trimmed and the plugs were replaced with epoxy and chopped strand. The edges of the floor were sealed with fiberglass to try and keep water out of the new foam. Since I'm not putting carpet back in the boat, I filled the visible ends of the ribs and front stringers with foam. The foam was rounded down with a rasp epoxied and fiberglassed. I did the same thing where the hull was stamped outwards so every thing will be smooth inside.

looks great so far!

Here is the new floor with 2 coats of Tuff Coat Smooth. I really like how it looks and feels. The Tuff Coat is a polyurethane rubber with rubber granules. Unlike some non-skids that use silica, this feels good on bare feet. They didn't have the exact color I wanted, so I mixed Dark grey with white half and half. I followed their directions and it went on pretty easy with a roller. I like it so well that I'm going to put it on the top of the gunwhales instead of the marine vinyl that I was planning to use.

That stuff looks pretty sweet, project is looking good!

I have an 18 foot bluefinn that looks very similar to your layout. I am also going to need to upgrade mine soon as well. Great posts and best of luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast