Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another big king year?

After last winters almost carbon copy of the 2015-2016 winter, who thinks we are in for another big fish year on lake michigan?! Water temps stayed warmer than average which keeps the metabolism up for the salmon....more eating equals bigger fish! Lack of ice cover should have helped all the young on the year alewives too. If history repeats itselfs every warm winter weve had in the past 10 years or so results in big fish years, and seeing thr size of the immatures last fall, we got a good shot at hitting 30 lbers again! If numbers of kings are really as low as they say, shouldnt be much competition for food. Id rather see the salmon population survive with less numbers of big healthy fish than to see lake huronlike callopse again. I know every charter out there hates it, but would you rather have no kings like huron or less kings but they are tanks!

Before everyone starts jumping on me, i agree we shouldnt be planting so many lake trout, if any, but im all for planting less kigs to let the alewives bounce back. You can always plant more salmon, Bait is impossible to plant.
    Last edited by zps; 03-27-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Yes it will probably be a big fish year. No need to go into the rest of your post as its all been discussed on this site a 1000 times over.

Yea i know, but i feel if i dont protect myself everyone will jump all over me on that issue.

a big fish year is like predicting the weather........ Is nice just to boat fish and have it on the menu......ZPS Don't be swayed by GM FISH sarcasm....... Stay positive and you will catch more.....Fish on!!!!!!!

I think it'll be a good year for numbers, but I'd be surprised if we see the number of big fish we did last season (I have a theory on that, but as mentioned it's been discussed a 1000 times over).

I think you'll see good numbers of everything, but I think the fish size will be a little smallish on average.
    "Give a man a little luck and anything will do for brains."

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I hope there big this year. More of them would be fun also.

The more important question should be how is the YOY alewive population from this winter?

If this is any indication, it might be another big king year. Picked up two kings in my kayak yesterday - 13 and 17 lbs (34 and 36").
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice catch! That's very good to see this early in the year. What did they come on and where were you fishing?

I was running some cranks out of Milwaukee Wednesday afternoon. Couldn't buy a bite on spoons. Coast Guard came out and seemed to be watching me for a bit. Didn't see any bait. One "natural" and one clipped.

21 and 23 pounder caught in door county already. 21 was on Howie's Facebook and other was a guy I know.

cant wait. nice fish

I think its safe to say now there is a correlation between warm winters and king size. Higger metabolism throughout the winter coupled with better bait survival creates big salmon. Sucks not having good ice to fish on but at least this is a compromise. Two warm winters in a row likely created kings that are over 30 lbs.

41 pounder in Muskegon yesterday, 36 in Ludington. They are big this year

ZPS- I do not think that warm winters have a thing to do with it, like the water temps were 60 degrees or something, these are cold water fish. Now the insane amount of bait all over the lake for the first time in 25 years is more likely attributed to large Kings in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast