Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lurch View Post
    41 pounder in Muskegon yesterday, 36 in Ludington. They are big this year
    Nice we took a 30 pounder out of grand haven tuesday came on a dreamweaver innovator paddle and green glow fly 70 down 150 FOW

But the reason for the baits survival was the warm winters. When lake michigan freezes over it can kill alewives. A few degrees warmer than normal and not freezing over can make a huge difference

Change thread title to "HUGE King year".

Ginorms!

Bait is also cold ocean species, what takes a toll on the bait is extreme temperature changes especially when they first come in to spawn, hence the mass die offs in May/June/July in days of old. Winters were a lot colder in the 80's yet piles of bait? My $.02

Lake michigan also was alot dirtier which prevented it from freezing and providing more food for the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by That 70's Boat View Post
    Bait is also cold ocean species, what takes a toll on the bait is extreme temperature changes especially when they first come in to spawn, hence the mass die offs in May/June/July in days of old. Winters were a lot colder in the 80's yet piles of bait? My $.02
    But in the '80s the zebra mussels had not yet changed the low end of the food chain by consuming much of the baitfish's food. The impact of cold winters on a very big population then did not have have nearly as big an effect on the overall number -- if you have $500M and lose 50% you still have $250M and are not going to see much impact. Have $5000 and lose half you are going to feel it much more. Same with Alewife... be over populated and take a big hit and you don't know it -- still plenty of food for salmon. Have a smaller population that is not quite big enough to feed all the salmon in the lake and take away half of it and the salmon really take a big hit too.

The last time the lake faced an extreme shortage of bait/Alewife was in the mid to late '80s and salmon numbers were decimated because the stress of little food allowed BKD to kill the salmon. Size and numbers were way down and it resulted in creel limits going from 5 to 3 per day. I remember many trips when a couple of low teen salmon was about all that could be mustered. This baitfish crisis didn't only affect Alewife... shiners and smelt were also affected and have not yet recovered.

As it was in the mid/late '80s it took a few years to get Alewife numbers back to "healthy" numbers. Even with the recovery, the numbers were way down from pre '85 populations. Yes, the baitfish numbers (Alewife) are much better now than the last few seasons but nowhere near what was present in the '70s through the early/mid '80s. If you were not fishing the lake back then and are just comparing to the last 5 years, then yes, there is more bait but it is not over populated like the past.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by That 70's Boat View Post
    Your memory serves you incorrect.

The 80's were actually pretty warm compared to our current decade.

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/ice/historicalAnim/
    Grady White 208 Hardtop

When told 'You stink like fish,' smile and take it as a compliment...

We caught a 25.8 pound King last Sunday. A 20+ pounder Monday. Otherwise it's been slow on the west side. Gotta go deep.
    Fenwick on Anne's Regret

Picked up a 31lb, 2 x 28lb, and one 12lb, all kings, out of Frankfort last Wednesday.
    Dustin Feigel
    SGT US Army (Retired/Disabled)
    Dragon Balls
    Cruiser Inc Barron 202

Wonder what the 2018 crop has in store for us? This winter was alot colder than the previous two winters so by my records the kings may be a bit smaller than last year. Hopefully the young uns had a good start last summer though and there will still be some tanks swimming around out there. Only time will tell, whats everyones thought as to when the first kings will be caught?

I don't have a ton of experience, but in two of the last three years, I've started catching kings out of my kayak around April 10th (2015/2017). In 2016, my first one was April 18th. These were all in the Racine/Milwaukee area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12