Great Lakes Angler Forum

South East Lake Superior Walleye fishing

Hoping for some information on walleye fishing on Lake Superior. I fish a lot for Lake Trout but want to try Walleye fishing- Far as I can tell it is mostly a East shore fishery from Amnicon north- Hoping for information on where to start - I have a boat rigged with downriggers and planer boards and mast. Thanks in advance

if you want to fish walleyes in the Superior Area, season opens in the St.Louis River May 13th and most of the walleyes are up the rivers and bays, then then walleyes start moving down towards Lake Superior and people start catching them in early July on the south shore of Lake Superior.

most use deep cranks (shad raps or similar)behind in-line boards from 15 to 40 feet of water
    John
    20' Regal - Take-A-Break
    Port - Superior, Wi

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    if you want to fish walleyes in the Superior Area, season opens in the St.Louis River May 13th and most of the walleyes are up the rivers and bays, then then walleyes start moving down towards Lake Superior and people start catching them in early July on the south shore of Lake Superior.

most use deep cranks (shad raps or similar)behind in-line boards from 15 to 40 feet of water
    Just wondering if anyone is getting walleyes in the Bay, around Barker's Island, or are the walleyes heading out to the Lake?

I fish the north shore of Superior for walleye in august. I fish 25' of water 1.5 oz bottom bouncer with size 6 spinners and worms 1 mph.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Redotter View Post
    I fish the north shore of Superior for walleye in august. I fish 25' of water 1.5 oz bottom bouncer with size 6 spinners and worms 1 mph.
    Son and I caught a couple of nice 20" eyes yesterday in the bay. Only saw two other boats out. Most times we had the entire bay to ourselves. Walleye dinner tonight!

Talking 30-incher

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesgang View Post
    Son and I caught a couple of nice 20" eyes yesterday in the bay. Only saw two other boats out. Most times we had the entire bay to ourselves. Walleye dinner tonight!
    July 1, son & I caught and released a couple of very nice walleyes in the bay, 30" and a 27". Lots of fun!