Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RX4 22" Remember speed / terminal velocity is function of mass, drag coefficient (incld. Wind Vel.) & Horse Power. I know a ton of Katech C5R racing engines that made a ton more HP @ 7 RPMs then their European counterparts spinning at 8.5 K RPMs remember the No 1 axiom: "there is no substitution for cubic inches". Merc 2.6 L Vs 3.4 L Evinrude. Ps: We were downriver near Wyandotte where current and wind velocity were negligible. Used Gps & icon instrumentation for speed #. Not sure about calibration of GPS / icon but I'm sure you can equalize that out. The Evinrude have a much better power to weight (mass) ratio. Evinrude 300 is 528 lbs wet while Merc I believe is 668 lbs. plus Evinrude is really pushing more than 300 at Prop..... Evinrude dealer claims they had a 2150 SST pushing just under 67 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by dog8dog View Post
    RX4 22" Remember speed / terminal velocity is function of mass, drag coefficient (incld. Wind Vel.) & Horse Power. I know a ton of Katech C5R racing engines that made a ton more HP @ 7 RPMs then their European counterparts spinning at 8.5 K RPMs remember the No 1 axiom: "there is no substitution for cubic inches". Merc 2.6 L Vs 3.4 L Evinrude. Ps: We were downriver near Wyandotte where current and wind velocity were negligible. Used Gps & icon instrumentation for speed #. Not sure about calibration of GPS / icon but I'm sure you can equalize that out. The Evinrude have a much better power to weight (mass) ratio. Evinrude 300 is 528 lbs wet while Merc I believe is 668 lbs. plus Evinrude is really pushing more than 300 at Prop..... Evinrude dealer claims they had a 2150 SST pushing just under 67 mph.
    Wow thats pretty scientific, I can see a 22 pitch prop reaching higher speeds, but I would have to guess the overall performance is not good.

I really have fallen in love with my set-up, the REV4 19 does not get the top speed, but performs excellent. If i bury the throttle at 35mph it will throw you back in your seat. I would have got a speedboat, Ranger or Basscat if I only wanted top speed.

2150 SST is the same boat but 300# more, I wonder how it gains 3mph over your boat?

I was finally able to break the 60mph mark. I knicked up my prop in hayward and picked up a new one while it was being fixed...the crestliner prop recomendation is a rev 4 20p. My boat came with a 19p. I was running a solid 6150 rpm with the 19 so i picked up a lab finished 20p rev 4. I was able to keep the same rpms and gain 4mph. Boat runs 60 plus. Ill have to see what it can do next summer on flat water.

Three guys, rods in the holders, and net up I can run 51 in my 22' Four Winns on a 21" prop. Running a 19" now and can still get 47 fully loaded. Fun running down ski boats in a fully rigged salmon boat. A couple years ago responding to a may day we ran 40+ in trailing 2-3' waves and passed the coast guard rigid inflatable much to their chagrin.
    I buy my own tackle, as cheaply as possible.....

I would be afraid to be trimmed out full throttle in anything but flat water. Its amazing the difference how the Autbority run trimmed out. If i dont trim out my top is 45...trimming down is basically my first step in slowing down. My last boat did not respond so drastically to trim.

Speed boat.... now if I was looking for speed I’d haul up the Donzi ZF center with triple Verados from Fort Myers. Not practical. That boat belongs in South Florida... In the Ocean....My point is that Crestliner with 17 Deg. Hull does very well for top end. There is no doubt you buy a Lund or Crestliner for taking friends / and or family for a fishing experience... safely.
    Regarding 2150... yes your right the SST Sportfish weighs more but it wouldn’t surprise me under perfect conditions...plus the new Evinrude G2s are cranking way more HP then what’s painted on the cowling and they are much lighter then Verados ... and the torque plus a 4 blade prop.... best whole shot of all the outboard manufactures... just an overall great trailering fishing boat package for the Great Lakes...

on the "battery question", I'd want a set-up where either battery can be used for starting via and A/B switch. Alternating use of battery switched to the engine always leaves a fully charged batter for starting.

One battery is dedicated to starting the Verado. The power steering, kicker, and accessories are on the house battery. There is an "isolater???" that allows the Verado to charge the house battery once the starter is full. When trolling on the kicker and using accessories (2 HDS units, radio, DR, live-wells,...) I will get an occasional low voltage warning. I run the Verado for a little bit and it solves it.

If I did run into an issue, I always have jumper cables on the boat and 4 batteries to choose from.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12