Great Lakes Angler Forum

Asian Carp = Nero Fiddling

So now a 28#'er was found 9 miles from Lake Michigan in the Chicago canal which is not a natural waterway. Guess the writing is on the wall. No amount of hand wringing is going to stop this invasive species from entering Lake Michigan. When a hard decision has to be made, we can count on our representatives to turn away. The Chicago canal can be shut down if we so choose to do so. I wonder if fiddler lessons is part of the orientation program for legislators?

Looking so forward to bowfishing tournaments in the future.

Well, you got some of the report right...28" long fish that weighed 8lbs. Most likely cause of its location? Release by an individual who purchased the fish illegally as a live specimen from an Asian fish market selling them illegally. In several Asian cultures a person is obligated to safe a life when a loved one survives a severe illness or disease. Many do this by buying a revered food fish specie and releasing it...same way snakeheads became established in the Potomac River after they were initially eradicated.

There was a USFWS study published a couple years ago that concluded that a spawning aggregation of approximately 25 fish would be the likely nucleus to jump-start an Asian carp invasion, which would likely spread along inshore waters off the major river watersheds in southeastern Lake Michigan from St Joseph/Benton Harbor up to Muskegon or maybe Ludington.

News this morning where reporting eggs found in an erie tributary. I hope they are wrong! Could some one tell me though. Can eggs be transported by possibly sticking to waterfowls feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    News this morning where reporting eggs found in an erie tributary. I hope they are wrong! Could some one tell me though. Can eggs be transported by possibly sticking to waterfowls feet?
    I believe yes ! I have heard many say hey why we so worried about this when we know the birds are gonna bring them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I'm sure an egg or two can be transferred here and there, but for enough eggs to be "found" would suggest some coitus occurred there.
    Grady White 208 Hardtop

When told 'You stink like fish,' smile and take it as a compliment...

Thirsty, you are correct, I misread an email to me taking the inch marks into a #. However, the gist of the issue remains the same. We have known of this issue for years and no definite plan has been implemented to at least try to stop the spread of the carp. Is there a plan that can be successful? I really don't know but sitting back on our hands is not going to do a dang thing. Everyone needs to write to their representatives and raise hell over this issue. Weld the damn lock doors shut as a starter, pour concrete whatever, just do something to try to stop the entry into LM.

Or, get the State of Illinois to actually act in the overall interest of the region and its fishery, rather than in favor of their own short-term financial interests.

The eggs found in the Lake Erie tributary were grass carp eggs; yes, Asian Carp, but not silver or bighead carp which are the fish species of concern.

For those that would like added information on the plan to 'attempt' a block for Asian Carp, check the US Army Crops of Engineers web page, www.glmris.anl.gov.

This is the outline of the potential plan to block Asian Carp at the Brandon Road lock / dam in Illinois. There have been multiple public meetings this summer / fall to provide input on the plan. Many fishing groups have presented input, along with strong input from at least The State of Michigan.

The problem - if this plan is finally approve, the proposed implementation is for 2025 !! Yes, that leaves the next 8 years of potential adult fish movement into Lake Michigan, which will be too late.

Voice your opinion on this web link. Close the lock / dam at Brandon Road !!

Dean's Dream
    Pentwater, MI
    Dean Jessup
    Dean's Dream
    Pentwater, MI