Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garmin TR-1 Gold Users

A few questions:

First of all where is the best place to buy one?

Second, I know they work with most graphs with the right NEMA network, but what is the most cost effective 7" Garmin model that will allow me to use all of the TR1's capabilities? (Follow the contour, etc)?
    Grady White 208 Hardtop

When told 'You stink like fish,' smile and take it as a compliment...

I am partial to buying from calumet marine
    any gps will hook up to the tr1 that has NMEA 183 or higher
    some really older ones will slow the navigation down it is a stand alone auto pilot that does not need to be hooked to any thing
    for best results is should be installed on a motor with 10A or more charging system large enough for the boat with a power thrust lower unit prop combo and be mounted as close to mid ship as possible

one of the most important part of installing one and being happy with it is proper on the water calibration they work out of the box but work 100% better after calibration and tuning

Bought my TR-1 from Calumet back in 2013. They were terrific in every way. There price was as good as anyones but the best thing was personalized service after the sale.They walked me thru the whole install and on water programing over the phone. The tech that helped me was Ryan, think he's the owners son. I would have bought him a steak dinner except I'm in Buffalo NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
    Bought my TR-1 from Calumet back in 2013. They were terrific in every way. There price was as good as anyones but the best thing was personalized service after the sale.They walked me thru the whole install and on water programing over the phone. The tech that helped me was Ryan, think he's the owners son. I would have bought him a steak dinner except I'm in Buffalo NY.
    thank you we appreciate your business

So your welcome to have a mechanic do the install, but i installed mine myself and had no issues. Dealers quoted me 8 hours of labor, it took me exacly 8 hoirs to install it and route all the cables, hoses, and kicker attachments. Got mine on a yamaha 9.9 kicker and its been kicking butt since 2011. Best 2500 dollars spend on the boat. Couple things i learned, dont bother with the wireless remote, dont ever use it because it doesnt have step turns which i use every day. I also hooked mine to my gsrmin gps but NEVER use that function. The gyroscope compass function is so much better and holds heading which is all you need. Not sure how long it will last but if it went bad id spend the money on a new one right away. Its a life, marriage, and friendship saver!

8 hours is about what it takes to install one if you don't do it all the time
    also the main part of the calibration true north compass calibration is a important part or making the system perform properly and last long time with out wearing out the pump and other hyd components
    not trying to scare any one into having a dealer install but there is a lot of things that can be done wrong mistakes to be made that will shorten the life of the product and also limit its capabilities
    lets just says "THE TRICKS OF THE TRADE"
    of course all dealers are not created equal
    if your Garmin auto pilot is installed by a NMEA certified installer you get a double warranty
    fun cost money I would like to suggest you have a qualified NMEA dealer install and have the on water basic calibrations included as part of the installation change the hyd fluid at least one time a year and get in the back of the boat and fish

One thing i havent been able to find is the approximate life span of these units. Mine has been steering with heavy use for 7 years. Wonder how many she has left in her?

properly calibrated and maintained and oil changed at least one a year no low voltage have some now 12 years week end warriors still going strong

want to extend the life of a tr1
    change old at least one time a year
    recalibrate ever other year
    set gps low voltage alarm up to 11 volts don't run your tr1 if voltage drops below 11 volts

Yikes only 12 years

Quote Originally Posted by zps View Post
    Yikes only 12 years
    The gold unit has only been around 12 years I am confident with proper care it will last a lot longer
    and Garmin also has reman replacement parts at a discount for the guys that might not have taken care of them as well as they could have

Precursor: Dumb Question

What function does the tachometer wire serve in the TR-1 system?

I already have a throttle control in the boat (actually two- a Trollmaster and a remote shift/handle throttle), so I didn't get the Garmin servo throttle control.

Do I still need to hook up the tach wire? Or is it only for running in conjunction with the Garmin throttle servo?

It's not a big deal to rig it to the kicker, but if it doesn't apply to me it will be one less wire to see.
    Grady White 208 Hardtop

the tac wire gives the computer signal to buffer steering
    at higher RPMS where quick steering actually could rock the boat around potentially throw some one out of the boat and speeds up steering at slower RPMs to keep boat on course
    if the system does not see a tach signal it will default and shut down

Quote Originally Posted by honda cat View Post
    the tac wire gives the computer signal to buffer steering
    at higher RPMS where quick steering actually could rock the boat around potentially throw some one out of the boat and speeds up steering at slower RPMs to keep boat on course
    if the system does not see a tach signal it will default and shut down
    Thank you sir, that is exactly the information I was looking for.

I searched the web for 20 minutes before posting here and came up blank.

Much appreciated.
    Grady White 208 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by honda cat View Post
    want to extend the life of a tr1
    change old at least one time a year
    can I ask your process for changing the oil? Nothing in the manual about it. I know I can drain completely are just refill per the original install instructions, but curious if you have developed a simpler more efficient method?

thanks

FishHog

Quote Originally Posted by FishHog View Post
    can I ask your process for changing the oil? Nothing in the manual about it. I know I can drain completely are just refill per the original install instructions, but curious if you have developed a simpler more efficient method?

thanks

FishHog
    No way id drain all the oil out if i had to re bleed the hydralulic lines. Prolly the worst part of the whole install is bleeding the lines. Messy and tough with one guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast