Great Lakes Angler Forum

Looking to learn more about your fishery

Hey all! New member here, looking to learn more about your fishery. I get a lot of guys that come down here to Florida to fish with me, and they're always talking about sand perch, salmon, walleyes etc. I've got about zero experience fishing the north so figure the best way to learn more would be to do some research. Have had three trips planned up north this past two years that were halted due to owners selling their farms....

So my question for you guys would be is what is the species that you consider your "top catch". Which of your species is most prevalent, and which are the trophy quality fish to brag about? (We are all fisherman so we all brag and tell tall tales).

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Dan

Capt. welcome to this forum.... A lot more people than i can answer questions like this better...... depending on where you fish is a better way of looking at what you consider a trophy fish... Some guys are strictly rigged for river catfishing .... Some are rigged for crappie.... Most great Lakes fisher people are rigged out for Salmon, steelhead, or Lake trout....

If on the Great Lakes (Michigan, Superior) my goal is salmon (king, coho) followed by Rainbow (Steelhead), Brown and Lake trout. If fishing inland I prefer walleyes but won't pass up a chance to catch a meal of panfish with my kid (bluegill, perch, crappie). White bass can make a nothing day something fun also. Smallmouth and largemouth bass are fun but I generally spend my time on the previously mentioned species. Northern pike and muskie are incidental catches for me. Trophies are in the eye of the beholder. My kid's first perch last summer (all of about 6") was a trophy in my eyes.