Great Lakes Angler Forum

Boat crash on the Columbia River

Need to share this on facebook and other sights.... Tony, your right this is a must watch

That is SCAREY !

BTW, t2ddelttta, I married gal from Quincy. I am originally from Canton. Retired in Duluth Minnesota.
    Smitty

"SAM-R-EYE"
    Crestliner Phantom 196 SST Evinrude 150XP--9.9 kicker

Quote Originally Posted by t2ddelttta View Post
    Need to share this on facebook and other sights.... Tony, your right this is a must watch
    It's on our Salmon Trout Steelheader Facebook.

smitty,,,, love coming to your neck of the woods for fishing..... done the Apostles area a few times.....

Unreal! Thankfully, those on board were paying attention or the outcome would have been fatal.

Wow, spooky

Yes I guess never take for granted other boats are paying attention

My heart was in my throat watching that video...holy crap!

Does anyone know if the driver of the fiberglass boat had a medical issue while the boat was in auto pilot or were they just not paying attention?

Found my answer online and posted the news article below.

CLATSOP COUNTY, Ore. - A fisherman who had to jump into the Columbia River to avoid being crushed in a boating crash has filed a lawsuit against the person who was captaining the other vessel.

Clatsop County Sheriff’s Department said that the motor boat driver, Marlin Lee Larsen, 75, was sitting down while driving his boat and that he couldn’t see over the dash when he crashed into the fishing boat that Bryan Maess, 47, and two other friends were on, Oregon Live reported.

A GoPro camera captured the crash that happened in August. Christopher McMahon, one of Maess’ friends, waved his arms and yelled, trying to get Larsen’s attention. When that didn’t work, and it was apparent that the larger boat was going to crash into theirs, Maess, McMahon and Roni Durham jumped into the water.

Investigators found that if they had not abandoned ship, the friends would have been injured or even killed.

Maess, however, was injured by jumping into the water and being hit by debris, including injuries to his ankle, leg and arm, vision problems and headaches. He still wears a knee brace, according to the lawsuit, in which he is suing Larsen for $372,500, Oregon Live reported.

McMahon and Durham have not filed suit yet, but have started the process. Both are said to have suffered hypothermia and cuts. Durham claims she has suffered psychological trauma and hasn’t been on a boat since the accident.

Larsen’s son-in-law was on the boat driven by Larsen at the time of the crash. He told police that he warned Larsen to pay attention and that he had seen his father-in-law on his cellphone in the past, including the day of, but not at the time of, the accident.

Larsen told Oregon Live that he wasn’t using the device while he was driving the boat and that the allegations were “fake news.” He also said that the lawsuit, in his opinion, was not necessary since the other people were not hurt badly.

Larsen also has a criminal case filed against him, in which he has pleaded not guilty to reckless operation of a boat, fourth-degree assault and recklessly endangering the lives of others, Oregon Live reported.
    Steve H.
    Traverse City, Michigan

Fish out of Frankfort, LeLand and Traverse city

I don't mean to complain about older drivers but I had a 70 year old driving my boat years ago, at dark, after a long evening of salmon fishing. He almost put the boat into the exterior pier wall at Frankfort MI. Luckily I took a look out where we where headed and saw the danger right away and took control. Otherwise I would have made the news as well.

For the record this person I talk about had been driving my boat hundreds of times, was familiar with the lake and the pier heads and had been fishing with me for 14 years in the same location.

After that situation "no one" drives my boat, at night, especially older folks.
    Steve H.
    Traverse City, Michigan

Found additional information about the boat crash and the driver:

ASTORIA, Ore. (AP) — An Oregon man who was arrested after a boat crash has died, putting an end to the criminal case.

The Daily Astorian reports 75-year-old Marlin Larsen died two months ago at a Roseburg hospital. The News-Review published his obituary Feb. 22.

He had been charged with fourth-degree assault after last summer's crash during the Buoy 10 fishing season.

Authorities say he had been piloting a fishing boat that rammed another vessel on the Columbia River. The three people aboard the other boat jumped into the river just before impact.

In addition to assault, Larsen was charged with recklessly endangering another person and reckless operation of a boat.

The passengers filed civil suits, at least one of which has been transferred to a representative of Larsen's estate.

Larsen owned the Harborview Resort in Hammond and also had property in Roseburg.

Information from: The Daily Astorian, http://www.dailyastorian.com
    Steve H.
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
    I don't mean to complain about older drivers but I had a 70 year old driving my boat years ago, at dark, after a long evening of salmon fishing. He almost put the boat into the exterior pier wall at Frankfort MI. Luckily I took a look out where we where headed and saw the danger right away and took control. Otherwise I would have made the news as well.

For the record this person I talk about had been driving my boat hundreds of times, was familiar with the lake and the pier heads and had been fishing with me for 14 years in the same location.

After that situation "no one" drives my boat, at night, especially older folks.
    Incompetence, negligence, carelessness, etc. knows no age limit. I see it every time I'm on the lake...or on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by DEEPTROLLER View Post
    Yes I guess never take for granted other boats are paying attention
    In my captain's class we were taught to always assume the drivers of other boats are drunk, stupid, or both. I've experienced many situations where that was true.