Great Lakes Angler Forum

looking at 1996 27' Albemarle Express - any experienced comments

I'm looking at a 1996 Albemarle 27" Express twin inboard. Engines replaced in 2006 with 6.2L Mercruisers. Any input from anyone who's owned this (or other 1990s Albemarle) welcomed. Seems like it would be a nice GL salmon boat. I'd be replacing my 2001 Trophy 2352. thanks for any comments

I'm not that knowledgeable about that rig but how a good to start with boat if cared for has alot to do with how gracefully it ages. Why was it repowerd after only 10 years? How many hours do new motors have and are there maintenance records? Sea trial? I wouldn't pay in full - take title untill i know it works well. Is there a recent survey?
    "When someone asks you, A penny for your thoughts, and you put your two cents in, what happens to the other penny?"
    George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by TT Chaser View Post
    I'm not that knowledgeable about that rig but how a good to start with boat if cared for has alot to do with how gracefully it ages. Why was it repowerd after only 10 years? How many hours do new motors have and are there maintenance records? Sea trial? I wouldn't pay in full - take title untill i know it works well. Is there a recent survey?
    thanks. New motors are 600 hours. I'm kinda guessing it was originally a charter boat. Current owner says it came from Detroit area so maybe Lake Erie or Lake Huron. I'd do a survey. Boat is in Kewaunee.

Albemarle makes an awesome fishing boat. I own 248 express, new in 2004. All designed around fishing. Ride is amazing - takes rough water - and I have had no issues. As stated, if maintained, you will be happy.
    Dean Jessup
    Dean's Dream
    Pentwater, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Deans Dream View Post
    Albemarle makes an awesome fishing boat. I own 248 express, new in 2004. All designed around fishing. Ride is amazing - takes rough water - and I have had no issues. As stated, if maintained, you will be happy.
    thanks for the input. I'm not finding any negatives out on the internet, but good to get your experience.

Albemarle
    hard to find any thing wrong with the design a little pitchy in trolling really rough water really well built
    repowered with new modern EFI motors big pluss
    always with any older boat needs a good survey no doubt will find some moisture in the hull because of the age but in most cases should not kill the sale as long as motors are bolted down tight
    make sure when you have it surveyed the hull is thoroughly thawed moisture in hull is hard to detect if it is frozen

I am interested in this boat too so long as I can move my very similar Carolina Classic 25 with a single 8.1. I like the Albe 27 for the twin direct drives.

I abandoned the one I was look at after consulting some marine mechanics and Honda Cat's advise.

Beautiful boats

we are no longer dealing in Hewescraft boat
    If you liked them you will love these
    we are all in with THUNDER JET NOW, THEY OFFER US MORE AND BETTER OPTIONS FOR CUSTOMIZING BOAT FOR OUR CUSTOMERS NEEDS
    we rig them one at a time with out compromise