Great Lakes Angler Forum

Wire Line Rod - recommendation ?

Going back...way back. I fished on my friends boat and he had a Shimano Roller Guide Rod that was used with 1 lb ball weights. It was one piece and shorter by todays standards but it was nice in a small boat.

It served double duty as a wire dipsy.

Does anyone remember that model? Or what is the current version or recommendation?

Thanks!

Backdraft

do you have any pictures???????

The current Shimano roller rod line for freshwater would be the Talora line. Rods are 7 to 10 foot. Depending on model, the tip may or may not swivel.

The 7' Talora TLA70MRG would be good for that application. Fun rod to catch salmon on with wire.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Picking up some Okuma Big Lake rollers this spring, got to be better than the old Eagle Claws that I ran.

I've had lakers snap two Eagle Claws in half. Crap rods.

For the above, remember that the 7' wireline rods don't come with a roller tip, so you should add a twillie tip or torpedo roller tip for wire.

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    I've had lakers snap two Eagle Claws in half. Crap rods.

For the above, remember that the 7' wireline rods don't come with a roller tip, so you should add a twillie tip or torpedo roller tip for wire.
    The 7' Talora I referenced is a full roller rod including the tip roller -- it just doesn't swivel.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by SeaCat View Post
    The 7' Talora I referenced is a full roller rod including the tip roller -- it just doesn't swivel.
    And it works great without a swivel. Don't know why people think it needs one I have several of each roller model and personally prefer the non swivel tip.
    Last edited by reeltimebrad; 04-12-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling

I heated up a tall glass of water in the microwave and put the butt end of my taloras in it for a few mins and rotated the gimbal 45 degrees so it will angel properly when in the rod holder ,,, No problems not having the swivel tip ,,,Might be a problem if your rod holders aren't gimbal mount
    Starcraft Islander 221 BRKT "Gifted Angel"
    Merc 150 Opti Max
    Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker

If they don't have a swivel tip you just have to make sure you get your rod so the tip is facing back with the line. If not it can tear up the side of your guides
    Formally known as fowlintent on GLA

"The 7' Talora TLA70MRG would be good for that application. Fun rod to catch salmon on with wire."

I've had two of the Talora 7 footers for 15 years - great wire lb ball or tipsy rods and they have been flawless.....

Yes, or you can add a twillie tip on the end. They are REALLY forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    "The 7' Talora TLA70MRG would be good for that application. Fun rod to catch salmon on with wire."

I've had two of the Talora 7 footers for 15 years - great wire lb ball or tipsy rods and they have been flawless.....

Agreed!

I have a pair of older rods with roller guides. The tips did not swivel. So I could use them as dipseys rods and not worry about the rod turning in the rod holder and the line not resting in tip roller, I changed the tip roller to twilli tips. Problem solved.
    Shellfish.

I have been lucky I guess. I have had the eagle claw roller rods for over fifteen years without issue. I have a couple of longer non roller rods that i picked up this year for a second dipsy per side and a (I think wilderness ) roller rod I was going to change to but they do not make it any more.
    Richard Doolin