Great Lakes Angler Forum

Thread: Peanut Flies

Peanut Flies

Hey guys,

I need to buy some peanut flies and I was wondering what brands make the best flies? I have some Howie peanut flies and the quality isn't great. I remember reading that some guys on here make their own and sell them. Also, what length leads do you run behind a 00 dodger? Any help is appreciated.

I like the rapture slider flies and Fire Flies makes good ones as well. You'll get more life out of a slider fly but I have a mix of both. I run all mine 18" from the top of the loop to the back of the hook and tied with 40# fluorocarbon.

I tie and use mostly all my own flies. I sell them from my website. There's a brief description on each fly on the site and what conditions I use them. I'm not in the business of selling large quantities of flies. But rather enjoy tying them in the offseason and offering quality flies that work, for sale.

http://www.windycitysalmon.com/onlin...flies-apparel/

Capt Rick
    Windycitysalmon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    Hey guys,

I need to buy some peanut flies and I was wondering what brands make the best flies? I have some Howie peanut flies and the quality isn't great. I remember reading that some guys on here make their own and sell them. Also, what length leads do you run behind a 00 dodger? Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Capt Rick
    Windycitysalmon
    http://windycitysalmon.com/

I own JM Pound Town Tackle LLC We are on facebook. You can look at our flies their. Current stock is tied on a red VMC 4x hook all new peanut flies from here in out all will be tied on Owner st-41 size 4. You can special order for them to be tied on size 2. The Owner size 4 is a awesome hook and is sized more like a 3.. I think its the perfect hook for Peanuts. All Peanuts are tied by my father and I. They are glued 3 different times during construction. Whip finished and A gloss Clear coat over the Thread. They are as strong as a peanut can get. Please send pm on Facebook to order or have questions until our web page Is up and running.

I’m a fan of rainbow Richards flys! Believe he’s base outta Port Washington Wisconsin??

I have mostly bought Howie peanuts. I found that a couple fish tear them up pretty fast, as they come out of the package--the tinsel strands pull out of the head. Now when I buy them I remove the little plastic band which holds the tinsel in place. Then I wrap thread around them as you would when tying a fly and then use head cement to glue it all in place. They hold together a lot better.