Great Lakes Angler Forum

Fish Hawk X4 Probe Reminder - Loosen Cap After Use

My X4 probe got a crack in case and was probably due to my failure to loosen the cap after each use to release pressure to insure it doesn't cause a crack in either the probe case or the cap. I either forgot, missed the instruction, over looked, just plain brain cramp which caused a crack and now a new one on the way to me. So just as a heads up, strongly recommend you take the time to loosen the probe cap after each use. I highlighted the maintenance recommendation table in the manual for ease.

I have had a FH in my boat for close to 30 years and they have never disappointed in customer service. 5 Star in every aspect for any problem I have ever had. Some self inflected as well but that is called fishing hard. They listened (which in itself is trait most companies fail miserably at) and explained what probably happened to the probe and did help me out on the cost to replace. Customer service is something companies have to work at to be good and they have succeeded in my book.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I missed that part of the manual as well but haven't had trouble so far. My concern is there might only be a 50/50 chance of remembering to tighten the probe cap at the start of each day and filling the battery chamber full of water might not be good for it either.

And since you brought it up I'm thinking it wouldn't be a dumb idea to carry a spare probe as they are made of plastic and subject to being in harms way. The only thing worse than paying for a spare probe and never using it would be having perfect weather on a 3 day trip and having your probe sitting at the bottom of the lake or busted for whatever reason.

My plan is to completely remove cap while it is the blue storage case so there will be no chance on forgetting to tighten. I have my old 840 probe as a backup for trips that I really need to put back into boat as fall back. It works with new display so it can be used. Hopefully I will have 9V battery as well. I feel lost on the lake without the probe! But you still can read the thermocline with graph and watch your cables to estimate speed from cable drift. Much nicer to watch LCD than cables!

Never heard of this and havent done it in the 10 years of using a fishhawk probe

That makes 2 of us for sure. I didn't know it could happen until it did with mine and it is clearly in manual so guess sometimes you gotta adjust to new info. AT least I will from now on! Kind of interesting is the older probe, I always took the 9V battery out to insure it wouldn't discharge if the probe wasn't perfectly upside down in off position.

Received probe this afternoon 2 days after contacting FH. Like I said, their customer service is top notch!

I just cant imagine charters loosening up the cap every time out they fish. Maybe ive been lucky but my probe has been good and i never back it off

This is news to me.