Great Lakes Angler Forum

Thread: Pink Salmon

Pink Salmon

I have a question for you guys. A coworker of mine asked me if I had ever caught a pink salmon In the Duluth area and told him that I haven't. That got me wondering if anyone has and what it bit on and also are they as good as a Coho for eating?

I have caught them up the shore,,,, Personally I would not eat them ,,, They do not taste like coho ,,, In Alaska they use pinks for halibut bait
    Starcraft Islander 221 BRKT "Gifted Angel"
    Merc 150 Opti Max
    Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker

Chop them up for garden fertilizer or feed them to your sled dogs. But then again someone will also tell you they have a great siscowet recipe so if you get hungry enough all bets are off.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea.

What I have found is Pinks taste good if fixed fresh. The flesh deteriorates quickly if frozen. I have not tried canning them.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Iíve caught quite a few in early August out of Grand Marais they were ok but were kinda soft. We left the skin on them and rolled in cornmeal and fried. Everyone I talked to said by the end of the month they would be junk. They were a pain because we would drag them forever on leadcore and not know it. They would bite anything a coho would.