Great Lakes Angler Forum

Boat Launch Safety

Hi

I Just wanted to share a story that happened to me this last Saturday in Manistee. Got to launch a little late so we were in kind of a hurry. Backed boat in and was getting ready to un strap it. My kids ball rolled out of truck and into the water. It was just out of arms reach so I took my shoes off and took one step in the water. I slipped and fell hitting my head on the cement hard. It knocked me out and I cant remember the tip to the ER. Thank goodness my brother in law was with me... I have been stuck at camper since with a major head ache and body aches.. long story short. Safety first... I new the launch was slippery but never thought that bad.

I have had several close calls at the ramp, especially when coming in late and im in a rush to get home. I always try to make sure i walk sure footed around the ramp and docks. Those things can be slippery as hell! Thankfully you are ok and nothing too serious happened.

Reason 15 that I will be wrapping my entire body in bubble wrap. LOL.

Lucky you had someone with and you are ok.

Last fall I watched a guy go down jumping out of his boat in the landing a cracked his head on the trailer hitch. It's not a good deal to be in to big of a hurry.

At the same ramp a few years back when it was still a drive through. There was a guy who came in the wrong way in a limo almost t boning some one launching. He then sat there dumbfounded when all of a sudden cops came. Blocking him and guns drawn, come to find out he stole it from the gas station. Upon further watching they knew him by name and appeared to but very drunk at 10 am.

I am glad you will mend. Thank you for the safety reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    At the same ramp a few years back when it was still a drive through. There was a guy who came in the wrong way in a limo almost t boning some one launching. He then sat there dumbfounded when all of a sudden cops came. Blocking him and guns drawn, come to find out he stole it from the gas station. Upon further watching they knew him by name and appeared to but very drunk at 10 am.
    There were people putting in at 10am?