Great Lakes Angler Forum

Thread: Planer boards

Planer boards

How do most of you rig your planer boards?

I assume most of you rig the front clip to release either on the strike or from a quick jerk after. Your trailing end, do you clip them solid, fight the fish to the board, unhook and continue, or do you let it slide down the line to the fish?

if you’re letting it slide, on a spoon or plug do you tie in a snap swivel ahead of the lure so the board doesn’t whack the fish on the head and shake loose?

Thanks!
    Last edited by badlander; 07-26-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: My old HS English teacher would have been appalled.

I have OR-16 (I think, the red ones with the pins) on the back. The front is rigged to not release.

When the board approaches the boat, point the rod at the board until you can lift it free of the water. Not doing this, the board will dive and you will lose line to the combined fish and board, then you will hold the rod tip low and point at the board to swing up and out.

I rig the front to never release. Its a learned experience, new guy on the boat, rough weather, driving the boat and not watching the boards. An amazing thing happens to lines when allowing two boards to tango after they trip.

It is an imperfect system. I lost the Lake Superior King of a lifetime when she ran the boat as I got my hands on the board. I had her on for a moment after and then she was gone. My wife had landed her chance three days prior. 25# and in the spring. If you can tell, it still bothers me. Spring of 2017, the best king spring of 2018 was 27 inches, close to a foot shorter.

Yes, youp50 is correct. Most of us do not rig the board to release. This is best achieved by using a "snapper" type clip for the front. These clamp down good and hard on the line. Years back I converted my Church walleye boards, that came with the spring-loaded pinch pads, with Off-Shore snapper clips. Now, I believe Church makes the snapper clips too.

As to the rear "release" (it shouldn't really release), my Church boards have a slot in the back and a spring-loaded plastic pin that holds the line in place. On my Off-Shore board, which doesn't have
    Henry H
    Holland, MI

Sat.morn. on Lake Mich., 5:00-11:00AM- the best 6 hours of the week!

Well jeez I'm glad I asked. Fishing like a walleye guy I guess - had it all bass-ackwards.

Thanks!

Sorry, something happened before I finished my post.

Should have said, ..which doesn't have that type of rear end, I just use a simple snap to hold the line in place.
    Henry H
    Holland, MI

Sat.morn. on Lake Mich., 5:00-11:00AM- the best 6 hours of the week!

We do have it release. Russ at Anglers Ave. has a you tube how to set it up.

We run the front to release and the rear to hold. Sam's pro release on the front, and a Gator Bait Tackle gator grip clip on the rear.

I went to the front line clip releasing and not the rear a few years ago. Much better IMO to not fight the board. Here is the video of how to setup from Russel at /Angler's Avenue.

Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Thanks everyone - we were out this weekend and after fighting the board back in hooked tight on both ends I started rigging my off shore boards like shown in the video pop the front and we/the fish didn't have the board to fight and it wouldn't nose dive when pulling in and resetting.

I have a set of Off Shore and a set of Church Walleye boards. Worked well that way running 4 boards, those Off shore birds pulled way further out to the sides that the church boards but now I need to add a couple of OR red clips to the church boards so I can rig them the same way next trip.

Its hard to unlearn 'Keep the rod tip UP'. It's fun for me to watch people on my boat fail to listen and fight the board too.

I do enjoy fishing more than most. A couple of nights ago I was laughing as a partner recovering from serious eye surgery as jamming the net into the mouth of a 20+# Laker. Plus One for single hooks on spoons.

I like a board to release if it "has to," or make it release if I want to.

A good example is a fast running fish that can pull the board under. Even a big steelhead or monster Laker can make that happen at times.

I have run the Offshore Snapper releases all year and have been extremely happy.

Contrary to popular opinion, I flip the snapper backwards to release the line under a heavy load. If it's rough and boards are tripping, simply flip the snapper forward so they can't release.

I've fished with the Sam's Pro releases too. They're a good release, but if it's rough and you're pulling a heavy load (like a 300' or a flasher), it will need to be adjusted tighter for the conditions.
    Grady White 208 Hardtop

When told 'You stink like fish,' smile and take it as a compliment...