Great Lakes Angler Forum

Garmin echomap plus 93 svl

Looking at above garmin. anybody using this model Pros and cons?

Thanks

I run three 73sv plus units on my boat, they are networked with a Garmin ethernet port expander box. Two are flush mounted at the helm, the third at the stern to watch while facing backwards, setting lines, etc.

The good things:

Very intuitive software. Easy to navigate, change settings, make favorite pages, etc.

The touchscreen is great.

It will interface with their Auto-pilots. Main motor autopilots can be completely ran from the graph (limited features with the TRI-gold though, which uses the old 0183)

Quick Draw Contours are awesome! Make your own private maps of any body of water.

The bad:

Waypoints show up very small (might be a way to have them larger, but I haven't found how)

Does NOT support radar (you need to step up to the GPSMap series)

Does NOT interface with any other graphs outside of the Echomap PLUS series (won't work with the Striker series, non-plus Echomap series, or the GPSMap series)

The Active Captain App will NOT allow mirrored screens on another device (like an I-pad or phone). You need to step up to the GPSMap series to run a mirrored device.

Overall I'm very happy, and you will be too if it fits your needs.

They are great units at a decent price, that includes CHIRP sonar, Side Vu and Down Vu imaging.

Really the only thing that bothers me is not having the radar capabilities. I now need a stand alone GPSMap series to run radar. I'm planning on a 1040xs for that (non-touch 10" screen for around $900)
    Last edited by B-man; 08-02-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    Grady White 208 Hardtop

When told 'You stink like fish,' smile and take it as a compliment...

B-man as far as the GPS goes on the 73sv does it seem pretty accurate?

Yes
    Grady White 208 Hardtop

im considering the 73cv for my new boat. Do you use the side imaging on the great lakes?

Not much at all. About the only thing it's good for is spotting bait balls off to the side and seeing bottom transitions away from the boat (which often means a depth change is approaching).

I very rarely use it on the Great Lakes, but it can obviously be more helpful on inland lakes/rivers.

Also, side imagining on a 7" screen isn't all that great unless you dedicate the entire screen for it.
    Grady White 208 Hardtop

Thanks. Now I need to decide if I want to pay now for the option to add radar later