Great Lakes Angler Forum

Question Bayliner Ciera 2452 as a fishing vessel on lake mi. ?

Anyone have any experience with a Bayliner Ciera 2452 ? Grandkids are getting old enough to start taking them on trips and I am wanting to upgrade to a boat with some cabin amenities that the current boat does not have. These seem to have decent cabin space and I like the open floor with no doghouse to fish around. Don't know how well they ride or handle.
    Last edited by dschbr1; 10-14-2018 at 07:43 AM.

I had the bayliner ciera 2355, basically similar just a hair shorter. Overall it was a nice boat, but the seating was higher up in the air and when the lake decided to roll, even with small 2 footers, you really felt it. It was typically to have some of my guests chumming fish over the side in a little wind. As for the layout, it was nice, compact, but efficient enough to make a day on the water very comfortable.
    Dustin Feigel
    SGT US Army (Retired/Disabled)
    Dragon Balls
    Cruiser Inc Barron 202

I fished in a 2004 2452 for the week of the KD tourny. If you have no doghouse I think you have a 2004 or later. We fished in 3-5ft seas on Sunday afternoon after the big 3 day northeast blow and had rough seas a dew other days. I normally fish out of a 17' alumacraft and watch the wave forecast religiously. That week I never checked the forecast, we just fished 14 hours a day and never worried about it. The boat handles excellent and will take rougher seas that you can handle. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I had the chance. Make sure you do the routine lower unit maintenance as those repairs are pricey.

Thanks for the input. Got a couple of boats I'm eyeing but haven't gone to check them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dschbr1 View Post
    Thanks for the input. Got a couple of boats I'm eyeing but haven't gone to check them yet.
    Skip Berry, Terminator on this site had one. Caught a ton of fish from it and could weekend in the cabin, something most boats that length struggle to do.

However, it is slow and heavy. He burned out engines due to them being overworked. It also sucked in any kind of beam sea for reasons called out above.

First time I took him and his son out in my Four Winns I about rolled Derek out of the boat as he wasn't used to a hole shot like mine did instead of a 10 second wallow to plane out.
    I buy my own tackle, as cheaply as possible.....

I would want the 350 engine in it. I've got a 2655 with 350 and it's under powered for 4 guys in over 3 foot seas.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653

Looked at a 2001 with the smaller 5L motor instead of the 5.7L yesterday. Needs a good cleaning but in overall good condition. I like the layout of the boat , but am still hesitant because of the two concerns of underpower and being top heavy and rolling in rougher water. I do use a set of amish bags now so those should help with stability while trolling. I will admit that we usually don't go 30-40 mi. out to fish really deep and most of the people that fish with me don't like rough water over 2-3ft but if the grandkids start going on trips I want them to be comfortable and feel safe. What to do, what to do?

What to do???? WAIT, do not go with under powered boat. Your Grandsons life may depend on it in an emergency.
    I am sponsored by my SWEET wife who has no affiliation with any Tackle companys.

For what you describe you want, I would be looking for a Searay Sundancer 250 or 270. Much more seaworthy than the Bayliner, has plenty of cabin space to sleep 6, flat fishing deck, and generally better built. Mid '80s to mid '90s models are great fishing platforms -- later models went to the euro-transom which isn't as good IMO.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

I have a 2004 and like it, Rides good, I have the 5.7, it is fuel injected, Bravo 2 outdrive and I run a Big Cow prop on it.

A 3600-3800 RM's it will cruise around 24 MPH.
    USCG Captains License, Master 50 gross ton

Quote Originally Posted by SeaCat View Post
    For what you describe you want, I would be looking for a Searay Sundancer 250 or 270. Much more seaworthy than the Bayliner, has plenty of cabin space to sleep 6, flat fishing deck, and generally better built. Mid '80s to mid '90s models are great fishing platforms -- later models went to the euro-transom which isn't as good IMO.
    My 1989 268 Sundancer was one of my favorite boats. It needs the 7.4L/Bravo drivetrain. I cruised that boat all over the Great Lakes and it fished well. The only beef of the Sundancers is the bench helm seat with the side aisle. The driver has to climb over people to get to a rod. That issue is solved with the Weekender series but you lose the aft cabin berth. I had a 23' Weekender before the 268 and that was a good choice as well and had the dual back to back fold down seats. I went to the Sundancer to get the added berth for the kids. The biggest challenge in that era of boat is finding one that isn't used up.