Great Lakes Angler Forum

Tight budget boats

If you had maximum of 10K to spend on a trailerable boat that must sleep at least 2 comfortably in the 22'-25' range what would you look for?

I would look for a Crestliner Sabre or Starcraft Islander powered by a Mercruiser outdrive and a GM block engine.

Given the budgetary constraints I would not rule out any good buy. I would find a good boat man/woman to survey the craft. Budget according to their fees.

Not sure how big the cuddy is on this boat, but she looks clean as a whistle and set up decent.

https://greenbay.craigslist.org/boa/...667020737.html
    Grady White 208 Hardtop

When told 'You stink like fish,' smile and take it as a compliment...

You talking USD or CAD? CAD ... good luck, boat prices up due to exchange. USD good luck ... aging fleet ... likely you'll get something that needs work.

You figure out the running costs too? Insurance, gas, winterizing/maintenance, storage, etc. It adds up.

I'm well aware of the costs of ownership. Had a F-25 Trojan for a few years. Just looking for opinions.

That's a nice one B-man.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...674451066.html

Slip this one and be done with it.

he wants something that is trailerable. this boat is probably at least 10' wide. in most states he would have to get wide load permits for each state he plans to trailer it in. plus I believe it can only be done on weekend days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus1983 View Post
    I meant to quote this post in my last post.

That's a lot of boat for the money. Would be nice to fish from. It would eliminate the ability to take it to LM a couple times a year. Decisions....Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    he wants something that is trailerable. this boat is probably at least 10' wide. in most states he would have to get wide load permits for each state he plans to trailer it in. plus I believe it can only be done on weekend days.
    How would a 22’ boat be 10’ wide? Most boats don’t get that wide til 30’

Some years ago, I had a mid 80's 23' Sea Ray Weekender. It was a very seaworthy craft comfortable for a couple people and a flat floor to the transom. They're available here and there for very reasonable prices but at that age an in depth survey is a must. It had a 5.7L/Alpha and I needed a Beaver Troll to control the speed but a set of bags would work well with that boat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross4289 View Post
    Another that was listed as a potential for him to look at was a 29 foot thompson flybridge with twin 350s.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653

Quote Originally Posted by Ross4289 View Post
    I guess I had a brain fart. no way does a 22' have a 10' beam. I don't have a clue what I was thinking. I bought a 28' sea ray with a 10' beam not knowing that Indiana and ohio both have 8.5 towing width on boats. I sold the boat at a loss just to get rid of it. learned my lesson the hard way. it was the perfect lake erie boat. had twin 4.3 mercruiser motors. just shut one motor down and troll with one motor.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    I guess I had a brain fart. no way does a 22' have a 10' beam. I don't have a clue what I was thinking. I bought a 28' sea ray with a 10' beam not knowing that Indiana and ohio both have 8.5 towing width on boats. I sold the boat at a loss just to get rid of it. learned my lesson the hard way. it was the perfect lake erie boat. had twin 4.3 mercruiser motors. just shut one motor down and troll with one motor.
    At least in MN and WI, the over width permit is cheap and easy. I have a friend that towed a 10.5’ wide boat all over the place for a few years. But I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that which is why i went with a 25’ boat with an 8’6” beam.