Great Lakes Angler Forum

smart troll / speed, depth, temp

Anyone use a smart troll? Looks like a viable alternative to the XD4.

Not me, but....

I think the owner is active on Lake Ontario United and I think he has some kind of year end/ free up cash sale going on. It was posted some time ago. If you are going to pull the trigger, a little negotiations could be in order.

It has the 'how deep is this diver really running at?' factor.

For the speed/temp/depth model it is quite a bit more expensive than the X4D. Big advantage is being able to put the ST probe on any setup and do multiple lines. The X4D is limited to downriggers on.y. At $375 per ST w/ temp/depth/speed probe though, I would not be putting it on a diver or copper rig -- bit too expensive for my blood to risk losing (Only $275 for depth & temp only).

If I'm putting the ST on a downrigger, I really don't care about the depth feature of either and would just go with the X4 -- which would be an even bigger cost difference compared to the ST.

Only real use for the ST IMO is if I want to know info on more than one line. Awfully expensive overall for that though.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Both valid points. My question often is:

I'm fishing some nasty currents, and I'm looking to get within 8' of the bottom. the depth finder says 80 fow, and the DR counter says 85. How much of a chance do I want to take?

I know I would rather lose a DR ball than a probe, but it's a game I often find myself in due to currents.

I may look into a X4 and weigh my options and whether I need the depth.

Thanks

I used to own and run Smart Troll for several years, until I sold my boat and got out.

Here is real the real deal ...

Smart troll is really useful.

You can use it on your DR and on dipsey lines. I never hadany concern about losing a probe.
    The reason being, we would connect it up in a way that it isNOT attached to the weakest link.
    If there was going to be a break, you would not lose theprobe. Different ways to do that on theDR and
    a wire line.

Anyhow, I would have live feedback on exactly how deep my DRwas, and how deep my wire was. I use to run
    one probe on a wire and another on a downrigger.

You would be surprised how far off your estimate of depthis. For instance, in the example above by badexpresso,
    his sonar reads 80 ft for the bottom, his DR counter reads85 ft … and I bet that the weight was actually sitting at 70 ft or less.
    Reason is both the sonar and DR counter tell you how farthings are away from the boat … not the actual depth.
    The distance for blowback is added. Think of a cable that ishanging down perfectly vertical with a heavy weight, 100 ft long. If it
    was directly under the DR or sonar, both would read 100 ftdeep. Now start moving that boat and youknow the weight pulls back
    and UP to compensate for drag. DR and sonar still say 100ft, because that’s exactly how far the weight is from those devices, but
    in fact it has come up a bit and sitting shallower.

With dipsey lines is MUCH worse … and you never know if yourline counter is actually accurate. Believe me, you can be off your
    target depth by 20 ft easy.

Once I had data from one wire line, I could use that ratioto get my other dipseys more or less in the right place.

Plus I had temperature readings at the rigger and at thedipsey which was inevitably higher, so I had a good idea what the temperature
    profile was in the water, aiming to spread lines in the 52Fto 42F zone.

I think it added important data, and it allowed me to bemore consistent.

We use the x4d for downrigger actual depth and the Fishhawk TD for actual dipsey diver depths.The TD reads in 5ft increments along with temperature until it reaches max depth. The only drawback is that you have to reel the dipsey in to remove the TD and look at the readings. I will tell you this! Our divers are so much more productive when we use the TD and dial in the target depth. It can also tell us the depth that we are getting bit at( sometimes out of temperature). Cost is about 145.00 for the TD and is well worth it.

I was recently in a boat that had the new Garmin Panoptix. He was using 20# rigger weights and we could see the depth achieved vs cable out down 95’. More importantly we could also see the flasher on that rigger and the spoon on the adjacent rigger. The real surprise was you can see the fish come and check out the lures and sometimes more than one fish. They would sometimes follow for minutes and he would raise/lower the rigger and they moved with it but just kept looking. You can see a hot one going across the screen like a comet and smash the flasher and on your way to the rod before it wiggles.

There were a lot more fish seen on that unit vs the 2D sonar because so many fish come into the spread from the side and missed by the 2D cone. Probably why we have had great days with a good catch and hardly marked a fish. What this unit does is you are more likely to know if you are in an area with fish. Then you have to make adjustments to your presentation and sometimes just wait them out to bite.

Am I getting one? Not yet and await competition to lower the price. This technology just won the 2018 I-CAST best of show in electronics. There are videos on YouTube. Some say it will really change ice fishing.
    Grey Beard

Prostaff: OffShore Tackle, Brad's Killer Fishing Gear, Depth Raider

What size screen was the Garmin ?

I think it was 7". Likely the panoptix live scope and transducer can be used with larger versions of Garmin.
    Grey Beard

thanks 7" screen 95' ft down able to detail flashers and fish that is pretty awesome. so it uses 2 transducers to achieve the 3 D detail?

I am no expert on this unit so I suggest you do some google searching.
    Grey Beard

Was it impressive enough that you might invest in one?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Beard View Post
    I was recently in a boat that had the new Garmin Panoptix. He was using 20# rigger weights and we could see the depth achieved vs cable out down 95’. More importantly we could also see the flasher on that rigger and the spoon on the adjacent rigger. The real surprise was you can see the fish come and check out the lures and sometimes more than one fish. They would sometimes follow for minutes and he would raise/lower the rigger and they moved with it but just kept looking. You can see a hot one going across the screen like a comet and smash the flasher and on your way to the rod before it wiggles.

There were a lot more fish seen on that unit vs the 2D sonar because so many fish come into the spread from the side and missed by the 2D cone. Probably why we have had great days with a good catch and hardly marked a fish. What this unit does is you are more likely to know if you are in an area with fish. Then you have to make adjustments to your presentation and sometimes just wait them out to bite.

Am I getting one? Not yet and await competition to lower the price. This technology just won the 2018 I-CAST best of show in electronics. There are videos on YouTube. Some say it will really change ice fishing.
    Dave Mull
    Paw Paw, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ace View Post
    We use the x4d for downrigger actual depth and the Fishhawk TD for actual dipsey diver depths.The TD reads in 5ft increments along with temperature until it reaches max depth. The only drawback is that you have to reel the dipsey in to remove the TD and look at the readings. I will tell you this! Our divers are so much more productive when we use the TD and dial in the target depth. It can also tell us the depth that we are getting bit at( sometimes out of temperature). Cost is about 145.00 for the TD and is well worth it.
    Yes it's decent, but because the temperature profile is not stagnant, you have to keep checking it, especially if you navigate further out or in shallow. The smart troll gives you everything live.

Dave,

As I stated in my post not ready to purchase. Await competition to see if the price goes down a bit and if other innovations come with this technology. If my HDS 10 Gen 2 crumpled I would seriously consider. The Panoptics definitely showed more fish that the 2D. Nice to know if fish are in the area or just keep moving.

He also has Garmin mapping. When we were out in 300' near the mid-lake refuge his maps had contour lines that were superior to either of my 2 Navionics maps that just have numbers.
    Grey Beard