Great Lakes Angler Forum

Backing for penn peer 209

I'm setting up my penn peer 209 with lead core 10 color sufix 18 lb. I think i want to use Dacron braid. Can i use 20 lb fly line backing(braid) and how much? I do plan on using planer boards so more is better right? I'm new to this. Thank you.

A quick google search will show 6 colors and super braid backing max out the 209.

Penn 209 is a great reel with a great drag. That said they have a horrible slow retrieve ratio and don't hold much lead or copper. Keep them for riggers and buy other reels for the rest.

Yeah it is a slow retrieve but i like them for there durability. I will be looking for other reels for lead core. Thank you for helping me out!!!

For ten colors of lead I use a Okuma Convector LC CV-45D. $90 give or take with tax and shipping.
    Fenwick on Anne's Regret

Thanks Rigge. I certainly will look into that!!!

Just so you know I'll put some mono line on followed with power pro then the 10 colors of lead. Some math involved.

if you have 2 or more then fill one reel backwards. put the lead core on first then put backing on until reel is full. keep count on lead core and backing. then reel the line off on the other reel. then fill remaining reels with the same backing that was used to fill other reel. then attach lead core and spool it up.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    if you have 2 or more then fill one reel backwards. put the lead core on first then put backing on until reel is full. keep count on lead core and backing. then reel the line off on the other reel. then fill remaining reels with the same backing that was used to fill other reel. then attach lead core and spool it up.
    Don't forget the leader. I just take mine to
    The Fishin' Hole: Your Milwaukee Fishing Bait and Tackle Store. https://www.rrsportsfishinhole.com/
    Let him spool your reel. You can pick out any line you want.
    Fenwick on Anne's Regret

Just get a cheap, clip-on line counter and use the reel fill calculator on this site. All you need is to find the line capacity of whatever reel you are filling and the diameter of your lines you plan on using and enter them into the calculator to figure out your backing.

If you go with convectors and standard sheath leadcore I have the measurements to get a full spool. I'll share.
    I am sponsored by my SWEET wife who has no affiliation with any Tackle companys.

If you head over to LakeOntarioUnited, there is a chart covering Okuma reels and amount of lead, copper, orweighted steel and backing required. Kind of handy to decide what length of weighted line and get good info on size of reel recommended with amount of backing.