Great Lakes Angler Forum

Auto Pilot Advice

Just upgraded our boat. We now have a 94 Tiara 31 Open. It did not come with an autopilot, and after fishing a few times with it, we've decided that an autopilot is desirable. We just don't know what brand/model to get. We'd like it to interface with a GPS/Fishfinder/Chartplotter. Any advice that anyone who has autopilot on that particular model boat or a similar size boat is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

This last year I installed Raymarine chart/GPS/fish finder and also installed the Raymarine auto pilot.
    My boat is a 23 ft 1998 sportcraft outboard 225.

It works pretty good, I don't have a rudder reference install so sometimes the auto pilot over steers. Wind also makes it hard to stay on course going slow.

MrGL - Do you have hydraulic steering? The rudder reference for the outboards is very easy to install.

If your trolling on your main get a set of bags to toss out in rough conditions so you can get your RPM up, it will hold much better then. One of my F225 holds my Welcraft 290 Coastal in the nastiest wind and waves when I toss the bags out and get the RPM's higher to move enough water.

Mac - I think the questions are....

1. Who is going to do the install? They may have a preferred manufacturer.

2. What manufacturers are you most comfortable with? Familiar with menu's and sure.

I think almost any of the majors have a configuration that will work on the stated vessel and all perform well when properly installed and calibrated. I'm partial to Raymarine because it's what I know and have installed.

Yes I have hydraulic steering, and bag but never realized to out then out to help steering, I'll try that.
    Didn't initially do the rudder reference due to cost but I'll put that on my list.