Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rod holder question

I'm looking at tracks and flush mount rod holders for a Starcraft Islander. I get the utility/versatility of the track systems. Question is for the flush mount gunnel rod holders - what is the logic used to decide the angle of the rod holder? They come in 0/15/30 degree increments? I am looking to use them to troll with dipseys and planer boards.

You wouldn't use a flush mount for your application without the addition of a gimbal mount and then a rod holder system mounted to that. Why are you favoring a flush mount holder? In addition to a track system there are also quick release options that leave the boat relatively "clean" when those accessories are not in use.

I couldn't see running dipsies with flush mount holders. I have the track system with cannon ratcheting holders. you can adjust them 90 degrees or less. the good thing I like about the cannon holders is that you can adjust them up and down with one hand. then just grab the rod and lift and the holder ratchets back up to the upright position.

the traxstech ratcheting holders has 17 up and down positions but takes both hands to put it down. the cannon only has 5 or 6 adjustments but goes down with one hand. single axis cannon holder costs 77.00 double axis 91.00. I like the single axis the best. traxstech at traxstech.com 135.00 each. the cannon is a lot cheaper and goes down with one hand has 5 or 6 up and down posiitions. traxstech has 17 up and down positions but takes 2 hands to put down.

I'll second ratcheting holders like the Cannons for dipseys. They work great. I also use them to hold the down rigger rods. Much easier to grab when a fish gets on.

I have an islander and I use the cannon dual axis rod holders to run my dipsies ,,, Running flush mount rod holders has never crossed my mind (and never will) ,,, What year is your islander ??? Mine came from the factory with 3 pairs of tracks
    Starcraft Islander 221 BRKT "Gifted Angel"
    Merc 150 Opti Max
    Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker

i suggest that if you go with the track and ratcheting holders get the longest track that will fit on your boat. i started with 24" and my rods were just to close together running 3 divers per side. i added another 24" track for a total of 48". and have a little room to spare. i also have a net holder i use in the front of the track. the great thing about using tracks is you can remove all rod holders when not using them.

Thanks for reply - was leaning towards track system - wanted to cover all bases - flush mount just seemed like zero work when switching between fishing and cruising - wasnít sure about rod angles for dipseys- have run planers at 90 degrees vertical on a smaller boat.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    I couldn't see running dipsies with flush mount holders. I have the track system with cannon ratcheting holders. you can adjust them 90 degrees or less. the good thing I like about the cannon holders is that you can adjust them up and down with one hand. then just grab the rod and lift and the holder ratchets back up to the upright position.

the traxstech ratcheting holders has 17 up and down positions but takes both hands to put it down. the cannon only has 5 or 6 adjustments but goes down with one hand. single axis cannon holder costs 77.00 double axis 91.00. I like the single axis the best. traxstech at traxstech.com 135.00 each. the cannon is a lot cheaper and goes down with one hand has 5 or 6 up and down posiitions. traxstech has 17 up and down positions but takes 2 hands to put down.
    Thanks for reply - have been looking at Traxstech - good point on the Cannons.

Quote Originally Posted by LoonASea View Post
    I have an islander and I use the cannon dual axis rod holders to run my dipsies ,,, Running flush mount rod holders has never crossed my mind (and never will) ,,, What year is your islander ??? Mine came from the factory with 3 pairs of tracks
    Thanks for reply - mine is a 2002.

if you go with track and swivel/ratchet as most of us suggest, get the track long enough so you can swivel all to lie flat down on the track for covering or when doing non fishing. Also helps when using the boat for handheld jigging of other species to have the holders laid down flat and out of the way.

Looked at your boat on Starcrafts legacy catalog ,,,, I would go with 48 inch tracks along the sides ,,, I have some 12 inch tracs on the transom that I use for downriggers but I don't have a dog house to have to work around ,,, Is your boat a 190 or a 221
    Merc 150 Opti Max
    Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    Thanks for reply - was leaning towards track system - wanted to cover all bases - flush mount just seemed like zero work when switching between fishing and cruising - wasn’t sure about rod angles for dipseys- have run planers at 90 degrees vertical on a smaller boat.
    Flush mount is not a good option in my opinion. You want to be able to pivot updown, side to side, depending on what kind of rod is in the holder. I would definitely get a system that mounts above thegunwale. Anyhow, if you want, Scotty rod holders literally twist and pull off,so when you’re cruising, all your left with is a very smallbasis that isn’t all that noticeable. Makes for a cleaner look. Then when youwant to fish, in a few minutes, you’ll have all your holdersattached with a push and twist.

Quote Originally Posted by LoonASea View Post
    Looked at your boat on Starcrafts legacy catalog ,,,, I would go with 48 inch tracks along the sides ,,, I have some 12 inch tracs on the transom that I use for downriggers but I don't have a dog house to have to work around ,,, Is your boat a 190 or a 221
    Itís a 221. At this point Iím thinking 36Ē trolling bars mounted on gunnels far back - can do rod holders for dipseys and boards now - then mount downrigger when funds are available. Jump seats at stern can be removed for access when fishing. Initial spread will be 3 - might jump to 6 thereafter.

When you get some time look at the starcraft legacy catalogs ,,, Mine is a 2009 221 brkt and you can see how its set up,,, your transom looks much different then mine but that's because I have the extended transom and an outboard ,,, Just use some good backers if you do mount tracks ,,, I had to re do mine on the back where my riggers go as there was way too much flexing ,,, the ones on the gunnel worked fine for dipsies
    Merc 150 Opti Max
    Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast