Great Lakes Angler Forum

Humminbird Helix mega si user opinions

Planning on upgrading ff on our small lake boat. Been researching the humminbirds to link up with a minn kota troller. Anyone have an opinion after using ? I see the 9" model is on sale at a few places but wanted some feedback on actual user likes/dislikes before buying.

I like my 9" Mega Helix SI but not familiar enough yet with side imaging to optimize fish finding. The 9" is less expensive by a lot for 1" because of the difference in pixel density, 10" with more. Most agree 9" pixel gives a great picture of what's under the water. Sidefinder really helps finding structure, rocks and other fish holding spots that 2D sonar would not show well. A number also feel the link to trolling motor not that useful thus I didn't not make that investment.

Only downside so far is the unit draws a lot on the battery that I try to limit by diming the screen light to what is needed in the light conditions for that time of day. Other issue for me is I'm on the bow when fishing walleye and the Mega Helix by the tiller so can't effectively use it when fishing. I see MinnKota now has a downscan capable built in transducer that would really be nice. I rely on my fishing partners to monitor the Mega Helix or just turn it off to save power. Sometimes you will know when your battery is low when the unit shuts down when you start your outboard, if the unit is on the starting battery. I tried using the battery for the tiller MinnKota that is connected to a 3 bank on board charger and 24V bow mount. When I would use the bow mount I would get interference so apparently sent something through the on board charger.

There is a Humminbird users group on Facebook that has a lot of interesting discussion and pics of structure with interpretation. Also lots of useful instructional video on YouTube.

Good luck.
    Grey Beard

Prostaff: OffShore Tackle, Brad's Killer Fishing Gear, Depth Raider

Thanks Grey Beard. I am thinking of getting a 9" for bow mount. That's where I spend most of the time in the boat. Thought the link feature that follows depth/ contour/ weedline would take some of the driving out, if it works like it's supposed to. Didn't know they had a downscan built in now. The 2d built in seemed like kind of a waste if I'm going to spend money to get a mega sidescan.

Just checked the facebook forum and the rumor is that a gen 3 is coming out and that's why the gen 2's are starting to go on deep discount's. The 9" gen 2 on sale is more in my price range. Afraid if I wait to see if a new model is coming out the gen 2 will be sold out and I wont be able to afford a new model at the size I want to get.