Great Lakes Angler Forum

Minnesota North Shore Tips Needed

New member and a first time poster! Grew up on the shores of Lake Superior fishing out of Ontonagon MI fishing Lakers, Coho, Browns and Kings. I live in the Twin Cities area now and want to do some fishing on the North Shore out of the McQuade launch. I have a 25' Bayliner set up for lake superior fishing.

My question is, How do you guys set your downriggers? Is the north shore lake bottom sand or jagged rocks. My norm is to drag the cannon balls along the bottom. It's not a problem off the UP as its all sand and very little hazards to snag the weights. I also deploy Otter boats and dipsys.

Any Lures, Flies or Spin N Glows that give better results. I plan to go in the later part of June with a few friends.

Thanks for your help!

My link above is me asking a similar question. Note captin stabin's reply and also click into his profile and read his reports.

Thank you MrGL! Good info here!

JohnnyM,

I fish mainly down out of Milwaukee, but stopped for a couple of days on my way back from Canada at McQuade the week of Jun 20th. The lake was calm and the launch was packed when we rolled in about 11am for lunch. During lunch the wind whipped up to 25 knots and the waves pushed everyone in within an hour. We blasted out the following day for about an hour to scout, too rough to really fish it at 3-5 footers in my 1850 commander. Managed to get out the following evening, still rough at 2-4, but we ran riggers, otter boats, and wire divers for about 3 hours before we had to head back. Ended up 4 for 6 with a mix of coho and lakers.

The day we came in was a good coho bite, and that time of year would be a good time to give it a try from McQuade.
    See you on the water,

Stosh
    The Machine

Thanks Stosh!
    I have never fished Lake Michigan. Would like to try it sometime though.
    Good luck fishing this year!!
    John

I have to ask, why are you always running on the bottom? There fish are not just on the bottom. If its 200 or less so have at it, but no need. Also the problem with the North shore is you can easily hit 400-600 feet. That is strerile water for the most part. Sure some big ones may hang there and pumper rods and SWR are used, but I guess I believe most active fish are 200 feet and up. I could be mistaken, but have never needed to fish deeper than 150 down to catch fish.