Great Lakes Angler Forum

Talora roller tip replacement

I am going through my gear and doing my off-season maintenance and it looks about time to replace the roller tips on my wire diver rods. I ordered the same non-swivel tips that are on the Talora new, as I was not much interested in paying $300 for a pair of decent swivel tip-tops.

Has anyone replaced these?
    See you on the water,

Stosh
    The Machine

I think you are better off with the non-swivel roller tips. You should be able to heat the tip up with a lighter or heat gun and pull it right off, then use some rod tip glue to reinstall the new one using heat as well. I've never done my roller tips, bit have replaced several standard rod tips and it was very simple.

I have replaced the roller tips and went with the torpedo swivel tips and really like them. heat up tip and remove then i used epoxy to install new tips work great have been in use for 12 years.
    Don't go big go MAGNUM MAGNUM LURE!!!

I'll second Torpedo swivel tips. I put them on my 8' Talora that didn't originally come with swivel roller tips.

Torpedo tips, easy to install and I think they are better than the talora roller tip. However, twillie tip is also a good option.

I have a pair of Torpedo swivel roller tips that I am not going to use. $60 for the pair shipped.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

Not trying to hijack this thread, but do any of you with talora roller rods have gimbal caps/covers you would be willing to sell?

I did post in the WTB section, but thought I'd give this thread a try.

I put Torpedo swivel tips on 2 8' Taloras and way better than fixed originals. However I still get curling wire. A friend uses about 10' of 40# mono spliced to his wire so wire always on the spool and less curling. I tried it and must have tied a bad knot and lost dipsy et al.

The size of the Torpedo tip is just big enough to make it a challenge to get the heated glue to keep the tip in place. One has lasted 4yrs the other with multiple re-dos. If I put on shrink tape to increase the caliber of the rod tip can't get the Torpedo on. I may have to do what Magnum did and get out the epoxy.
    Grey Beard

Prostaff: OffShore Tackle, Brad's Killer Fishing Gear, Depth Raider

Curling is inevitable with prolonged use of wire. Best I can figure is that being multi-strand in nature, each individual wire stretches unevenly, especially when tripping dipseys either caused by fish or pulling them. We just cut off the bad section and retie. Also noticed that its best to pull the wire keeping it on the rollers. If you don't, this stretches the wire strands unevenly, too. With 20 lb wire, the curly cues will break easier with a fish on it or tripping the wire. We check these daily to remove the curlies, usully the last 7-10 ft of wire. 30 lb wire is much more forgiving and can be used with the curlies as long as there are no kinks in it.

I went to Twili Tips last season on Talora rods that were ten years old and the roller tip all gouged up. For the price, you can't beat the Twili replacement and I don't think I sacrifice anything without the roller guide. I terminate the wire line with a few beads and a Mc-Rosco snap. Then I take the diver/leader/flasher-dodger off when on the run in and out rather than having to wrap all that gear around the rod (and risk having come unwrapped which then usually screws up or snaps the wire).

I would go this route again if needed.

Capt Rick
    http://www.windycitysalmon.com
    Thanks,
    Capt Rick
    Windycitysalmon
    http://windycitysalmon.com/