Great Lakes Angler Forum

Scent experimentation?

I did some experimenting with scent variety last year, and plan to do additional testing again this year. My typical routine is to run similar sets on either side of the boat with different scent (or no scent) applied. Although I am starting to develop some favorite bait/scent options, I have not yet settled on a single best strategy.

What I have learned is no surprise, live bait (or well scented bait) works better than unscented bait. Over the years, no matter fresh or salt water, this holds true. I would say it matters even more in salt water fishing (not sure why).

I have not used herring oil to date and will be using it this year to compare to other scents I have been using. Any comments on the strike rate using herring oil, versus other options?
    See you on the water,

Stosh
    The Machine

I like Dr Juice. Mills Fleet Farm has had the large tournament size. I see where some west coast guys have a bucket of water, Lemon Joy dish detergent, and a scrub brush on the boat. They scrub after every fish and reapply scent.

There have been times when a bait catches a couple of fish and shuts down. Change baits, and the bite is on. They claim bad scent shuts down the bait. I will have said equipment on board this spring.

Dr Juice drops on gunwales should be removed immediately. That stuff is like liquid rubber when dry, very hard to remove liquid rubber.

I do agree negative and positive scent plays a key role, particularly when the fish are neutral or off the bite. I have seen very often where the first rod to hit stays hot all day, as the lure gets more and more fish scent on it. You can put the same lure out at the same depth and it is not as hot as the first, but once it takes a hit, it starts to catch fish more frequently. The first hit can be the toughest.

I have not tried Dr. Juice, and will give it a look.
    See you on the water,

Stosh
    The Machine

Bravo.

I have seen great results when using sent. I've tried a lot of them and most work good. I use it on everything on each time I reset.