Great Lakes Angler Forum

Early season salmon?

Quick one for some of you guys that fish kenosha area early in the year. We have been fishing algoma to baileys july and august with decent luck. We keep hearing about the great early season coho bite and would like to get in on the action. Is there a average time of year that is good? What kind of baits do guys run that time of year. Thank you in advance!!

May coho action starts heating up. You can literally follow them up past Milwaukee through Port then turn around and start hitting Kings and bows. I’ve tried early April before and it’s a Dead Sea there. Milwaukee harbor is good for Browns pretty much year round but ice and dirty water come and go.

Good luck

I agree with the previous post. I fish from Racine to Port Washington, mainly out of Milwaukee from April to August (then I bowhunt). The brown action from MKE to Oak Creek is hot from ice out to about May 1st, then Milwaukee slows and I head down to Racine(ish) to start popping the coho bite (Kenosha is a bit too far to drive). Milwaukee heats up about May 20th and is very solid from June to July 15th, with good numbers of coho and steelhead, with kings adding to the catch from mid-June forward. If you are travelling into town I would recommend the following:

April - Milwaukee to Oak Creek (heavy brown action)
    May - Kenosha to Racine (limit coho opportunities)
    June - July 15 - Milwaukee (limit coho & mixed bag)
    July 15 - Aug - Port Washington and North (Kings & Steelhead)

Port Washington sees nice coho action as well (particularly in recent years), but historically the catch tapers off north of Milwaukee as you get later into June.

Come on down, it is always a good time fishing new waters. As I am sure you know fisherman make good friends fast.
    See you on the water,

Stosh
    The Machine

If you haven't tried it those northern ports you fish can produce a nice mixed bag of coho, rainbows and small kings during July and August out deep say 400-500 fow. It's nice because it's more of an all day bite and the fish are in the top 50'.

Mad Mulcher,
    What lures do you find productive out deep, on top?

Basically the same stuff you would be running closer to Shore that time of year. I personally have not had any luck with peanut flies and orange Dodgers like you would use earlier in the season farther south. I am running spoons and meat rigs but I'm sure flasher flies would work as well if that's what you prefer. last summer during that time of year none of those offshore fish had any bugs in their stomachs they were all eating Alewife.

Has anyone been out on the Wis. side to date? If so any action?

I will be heading to Milwaukee at the end of the month.

I was out of Oak Creek several weeks ago. A pleasant boat ride was interrupted by one brown.

We had great success out deep 300+ last year off the Northern Ports. Mainly nice Steelhead with a few Kings. Orange Pro King spoons up high, Howie Flies deeper...

Can't wait for July!