Great Lakes Angler Forum

Thread: Cable to braid?

Cable to braid?

Has anyone switched the downrigger cables over to 100lb or heavier braid? Heard it makes less noise. Anyone?
    Thanks!

I havenít switched because your auto stop on downrigger only works with cable once you break connection with water braid doesnít make that connection or disconnect

I have manuals, the auto stop is me. Just wondering if anyone has actually tried this.

I've seen the braid in action with Scotty's. For some reason, braid scares me more than cable. Too many sharp objects flying around the boat. It's hard to cut cable, I can't imagine it's too difficult to cut braid.....

It's pretty hard when you want to cut it. That's why they make special scissors. 20 lb braid is tough I can only image 100 or 150.

I just bought some 300# braid, I'll be giving it a try. For 10 bucks its worth a shot.

Zew, where did you find 300 lb braid with over 50 feet for $10?

Amazon, Dorisea Extreme Braid 100% Pe Grey Braided Fishing Line

I decided that the 300# diameter was to thick so I bought some 150#. Just a heads up, I'll figure out something to do with the 300# braid.

Quote Originally Posted by sportfish1 View Post
    It's pretty hard when you want to cut it. That's why they make special scissors. 20 lb braid is tough I can only image 100 or 150.
    The special scissors are for when you are tying knots. When it's stretched really tight you can cut it with anything remotely sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mulcher View Post
    The special scissors are for when you are tying knots. When it's stretched really tight you can cut it with anything remotely sharp.
    I agree. Plus if you have a nick in steel cable you know it. It's tough to see a nick in braid and if there is one your line is going to break. With the price of lead, temp probes, and GoPro cameras (all of which I attach to my riggers) I'll stick with my steel cable.

Fish are curious. They are programmed to investigate things like flash, noise, and vibrations. It's what they find out about your spread after they come to investigate that really matters, IMO.

i have tried it. I ran it a few years and ended up back with cable. i like the ringing or the whining the cable makes when using it. I also had more tangling problems with the braid. I also, found I wasn't catching as much on that braid downrigger. Give it a go and report your success. It will work and it will catch fish. Good luck!