Great Lakes Angler Forum

Doggers vs Flashers

Questions:

Whats the difference in a dogger and a flasher?
    Why would you use one over the other?
    When would you use each?
    What sizes would be the best?

Any comments on cow bells?

I'm still a big lake rookie. I'm trying to get my boat set up for this year could use some help

Where specifically are you planning on fishing? That might make a difference in recommendations as techniques can vary from one area to the next.

When I first started fishing Superior in 2007 I used Cowbells most of the time with some success. I kind of forgot about them the past few years but just may have to give them a try again this season.

Whats the difference in a dogger and a flasher? A dodger spins inline with itself like a spoon. A flasher will rotate in wide circles or arcs.

Why would you use one over the other? Most people use flashers as they are more speed tolerant than a dodger. A dodger can be trolled too fast and then you will get a lot of line twist.

When would you use each? Most of the time dodgers are used when laker fishing, but can be used for kings or other species.

What sizes would be the best? The most commom flasher is 8", and the most common dodger is 6" (i believe).

Dodgers when run at the correct speed swing back and forth (side to side) to impact action to a lure -- generally a fly, squid, or peanut but some run light spoons or small plugs. If run at a speed that is too fast, the dodger will spin. Generally from 1.4 to 1.8 mph -- Opti dodgers will go up to about 2.1 Some say that they still catch fish when spinning, but not for me . Leader length the dodger to the nose of the lure is typically 2.5-3x the length of the dodger, but shorter can be deadly for spring Coho.

Flasher spin in much bigger circles and also impart action to the trailing lure. They run at a much wider speed range -- 1.5 to 3.5 mph. Leader length is usually longer than dodgers, especially when using meat rigs.

Dodgers are great for lake trout but in mid-summer through fall kings love them with squids. For me, though I don't run them as much anymore because it does limit the other lures you can run in the same spread. Deep and slow for staging kings during mid-day sun can be deadly.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes

I knew if I asked the questions here I would get great feedback. Not disappointed, thanks. Forgot to ask about color, is there any colors that seem to work best.

Sounds like a dodger is the way to go most of the time but I don't have a kicker on my boat so the best I can do on speed is about 2 - 2.3 mph. This may be too fast to keep line twist from becoming a problem.

One more question on flies, what do you guys use other than peanut flies? I would like to tie something other than peanut flies for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by quacker1 View Post
    I knew if I asked the questions here I would get great feedback. Not disappointed, thanks. Forgot to ask about color, is there any colors that seem to work best.

Sounds like a dodger is the way to go most of the time but I don't have a kicker on my boat so the best I can do on speed is about 2 - 2.3 mph. This may be too fast to keep line twist from becoming a problem.

One more question on flies, what do you guys use other than peanut flies? I would like to tie something other than peanut flies for this season.
    Get a trolling bags, drag a 5 gallon bucket or two, you will want the option of slowing down for lakers.

Look at Howies flies web site for fly ideas. Lots of other suppliers, they are a good starting point. Many never go anywhere else for flies.

Tie some flies up on plastic tubes with 2-4" tinsel. There are some videos out there that show some tricks to do this. Look thru the reports for color combos that are working in your area and copy them. Rig them up tournament style (single hook with treble trailing) with some colored beads then have fun. If you have a spinner/fly combo that is hot keep it together for subsequent trips.

I don't think I could handle 5 gallon buckets but it's an interesting suggestion. I never considered using my drift sock, might give this a try. I did change my prop to one with smaller pitch not by choice, (rocks suck) this may get my speed down a bit, we'll see. I'm a avid fly tyer, I wanted to see if anyone used anything like smelt patterns or other bait patterns. I'll check Howies flies for some ideas, if I can't find anything maybe I'll try and make my own patterns up.

Thanks for the feedback, I love this place.

I am fairly certain a drift sock and a trolling bag are different animals in size and construction. My brother runs them tied off the bow and set amidship claims they help hold the course in winds other than following. I have a kicker and steer lots.

I did run a drift sock once, I needed to charge the main battery. A long story about learning. That bag off the stern was free to slide on a rope tied to each stern corner. Scared me once or twice, I would be looking aft and enjoying life, then this huge kraken would surface right off the stern.

A buddy did most of the steering, I have never steered such a crooked trac. Sharp port and starboard turns. And we hammered them. Lakers and rainbows.

, what size boat and motor do you have? If you can get to 2.0 to 2.3 with your motor you are in the sweet spot for flashers. If your boat is small enough two 5 gallon buckets should slow you aNother 1/2 mph. You would need to punch aprox 2.5 inch hole in bottom of each bucket. Take off wire handles and replace with strong rope about 3 to 5 feet long. Boat size dependent. One would hang off each side on front bow tie cleat. Don't use your drift sock as trolling bag. They are not the same and you will probably tear up your drift bag.
    I like to have the action of a dodger snap back and forth like a large fish tail then roll over about every 4 to 5 snaps. This is mostly controlled by boat speed. Probably around 1.5 to 2.0 mph. Put your dodger/fly rig in water where you can see action and adjust boat speed until the action just looks like it says bite me. You need to be aware that any other bait you use at the slower dodger speeds must still have good action. Some spoons at this slow speed just die with there action. Adjust your other baits accordingly.
    Hope that helps. Shellfish

Well I think I'll skip the drift sock idea sounds like a problem waiting to happen. If 2.0 to 2.3 mph is fine then I may not even have a problem, depending on the wind this about where I'm at already. I think I'll go with the "bite" me speed and not over think this. Thanks for the help.

Dont know what kind of drive you have but if its outboard you could trim it up a lil bit.

I trim the motor up if I need to slow down, works great

I have a 1750 Lund with a 115hp. Sounds like the simplest solution to slowing down a bit might be triming the motor. I'll give that a try, thanks for the help. Sometimes the solution is so simple you can't see it.