Great Lakes Angler Forum

Leadcore Reel Setup

Hi all,

I'm looking to put together a couple 5 color setups, and have a couple questions. 1) With 5 color, would you go with a Convector 30 or 45? And 2) Would you go mono or braid backer, understanding that if going braid I would be putting in a 20'-30' section of mono for board attachment?

I should add that these will almost exclusively be used on Superior and Michigan.

Thanks!

my pick would be 30 series. I have up to 7 colors on 30 size, convectors. The 5, 6 and 7's have a few wraps of mono then 300yds of rip cord, then hi vis bloodrun backer to lead core. When filling you need to leave 1.5 mm of spool face for each color of standard 27# core.
    I am sponsored by my SWEET wife who has no affiliation with any Tackle companys.

5 COLOR

Okuma 30 series (Magda, Convector, Cold Water, Catalina, Clarion)

5 colors of 27# Leadcore

650' of Blood Run 65# braid- backer

45' of 20# Blood Run Fluorocarbon- leader
    Captain Rob Westcott
    www.legacysportfishing.com

Okuma ~ Blood Run ~ Dreamweaver

I run powerpro 40# braid with two willis knots into the lead core and with board just wrap or use a release. Don't clip the lead to the board (however my friend does w/o any problems yet). I was going to put powerpro to mono to lead to "clip" onto the board but if you want to go deeper and let more line out you end up doing the same thing. Two less point of failure with the mono not used plus no need to strip off the mono as braid last much much longer.

With that said, depending on what you have already might want to spool up a 3 and 5, 3 can be a SWR on your downrigger and 3 color can be my hot one at times. If your in a building phase and working in more I would say go with your 2 fives and I would next look at 2/3 color then put the left over on a deeper rig. I have 10,7,5,3 lead core set-ups with 2 each. I run the 3,5,10 the most if I'm limited on lines. Then let the fist tell me what they want.

I should note this season I build some stainless steel pins for my new to me church boards. Wrap line like putting into a DR Blacks release, loop goes into the pin and all tugging the board stays connected with the front clip only handles the load of the water to the rod. You can buy the pins as well. I welded ends and dipped them in rubber coating but even a 90 degree bend on the 1/8 SS rod with a groove for the snap pin would work.

If your running braid backer for your leadcore and copper (I do) use the Sams Pro release on the front and the OR-16 on the back. The Sams Pro "trips" allowing your board to turn backwards and center behind boat for fighting a fish or changing baits. We wrap the OR-16 so it doesn't slide down and remove the board when it get to the boat.