Great Lakes Angler Forum

fishing reports from duluth

anyone been out in the duluth harbor lately? wanted to hear some reports but i havent heard anything yet.

Kinda waiting until after Memorial Day since the ice just left the south shore last week...give it a chance to warm up a bit.

Took up Crank Bait and Spoon painting this year so definitely want to get out and wash some..

Quote Originally Posted by johnny walleye View Post
    anyone been out in the duluth harbor lately? wanted to hear some reports but i havent heard anything yet.
    I was there last Friday 5/10. We got 6 cohos and a 6 lb laker all on sticks off of boards. Finding 40* water was the key and there wasn't much of it.

thanks for the info. cant wait to get up there

If the wind cooperates well enough for a 20 walleye boat, ill be up to take a swing at a few cohos over the holiday weekend. I see a lot of discussion about stick baits - what are you guys running for sticks, and what sizes?

#13 original rapalas, #11 x-raps or are those too big/small? Or do you run deeper divers like reef runners, deep huskys? Others?

thanks!

Mostly fish on the Wisconsin side so I cant say for sure on the north shore but for me this year I have used j-7 and j-9 rapelas.
    All colors in that size seemed to catch fish although the orange as usual was favored by the coho.

Best of luck to you this weekend and be safe!

Badlander,
    See my post that i'll be up this weekend. Give me a call or text and i'll share what i'm planning on doing for bait. I'm not a pro but have some sort of idea. I'll try to update my post throughout the weekend.

The weather is look exceptional BTW.

My overall idea is to troll stick baits in the top 20 feet of water and if i start marking fish deeper, i'll bust out the lead core/DR/dispy. I'm also planning on throwing in a few spoons as i see fit.

Has anyone been fishing up the north shore? Any info or anything happening up that way?