Great Lakes Angler Forum

Best summer month for lake trout

Im planning a new adventure with my father. Ive convinced him we can catch a lake trout durning open water. I would like to know whats the best time of year in your opinion for us to accomplish this. We have best access from duluth up to two harbors. I would like to troll with spoons or vertical jig with swim baits. I don't have gear to fish any deeper than 120 feet. (No down riggers and 19 foot ranger). Any advice is appreciated. Ps.....total noob

It doesn't get much easier than right now for shallow fish. It's like walleye fishing for lake trout.
    Grady White 208 Hardtop

When told 'You stink like fish,' smile and take it as a compliment...

I've never done it myself, but I have seen guys jigging in 100 FOW just a little up the shore from McQuades and catching fish.

I agree with Bman. Early season most of the fish are caught right on the surface and with the least amount of gear

How long will the early season last? I normally can't get up to the lake early, so what would be next best time?

Lakers like colder water,,,, With water temps still cool they may stay close to the surface but as the water warms they tend to go to the deep water ,,,, Check noaa for current surface temps and that may help locate cooler water
    Starcraft Islander 221 BRKT "Gifted Angel"
    Merc 150 Opti Max
    Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker

Thanks everyone who replied! I think we are going to try next Monday June 10th. Now my concern is the wind. 10-15 out of the west should be doable?....right??

Yes that wind should be doable. You can text the bouy at the Mn wi line to get a report of wave height and wind speed. The number is (734) 201-0750 text "54028" for the state line bouy and 54027 for the mcquade bouy although it is not online yet.
    As others have stated right now is a good time to be out as a lot of fish are in the top 20ft of the water column. Leadcore, flatlines, or dipsy divers will all take fish. I am mostly running shallow diving stick baits like x raps and husky jerks right now.

Beersnob, have u been outta McQ yet?

I did early this spring when rice pt was still iced in, but have not been up the shore since

Ok...think we might try park point area instead of McQ. My captain is sure itís too early for north shore

Fished Superior on june 7th out of Loons Foot ,,,, Had trouble finding fish in the muddy water so headed towards the no shore ,,,, Found most of the charters and other boats fishing the mud line near the Lester River ,,,, Water temps changed dramatically going from mud to tea to clean water ,,, Went 5 for 6 on the edge of the tea and clean water pulling bright colored stick baits ,,, McQuade would be a closer landing if you plan to fish the mud line
    Starcraft Islander 221 BRKT "Gifted Angel"
    Merc 150 Opti Max
    Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker

Update on our trip. We went to Two Harbors on 6-10. Found 38.5 degree water and caught some coho. Had 1 big fish on but lost it after a short battle. Only a small area was holding fish. Outside of that spot we never marked anything. Wish we would've hit the mudline by Mcquades. I think that's the place to be. Our best depth was 65'. Thanks again to all who helped.